Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Anyone Successfully Raise Axies in S. Texas?

dklagesse

Reaction score
I am still looking in to raising my own axies, but I am not sure about how much the heat from S. Texas will cause harm to the axies. I have a chiller installed in a 30 gal tank. Last summer the temp reached a high of 72F for a couple hours about 3 days total. Would that be too stressful for the axolotls?

Any recommendations for keeping the tank cooler or should I just give up on keeping axies?

Thank you!

Kaini

Reaction score
As long as you have a chiller it should be fine. A chiller should be more than able to keep the tank in the preferred temp rage for Axolotls (60-68 degrees F).

Are you saying the temp in the tank reached 72 or the temp outside? 72 isn't critical but it is a little high. Maybe you could supplement the chiller with a fan? Or turn up your AC lD

Also this should have gone into the Axie section of the forum :>

dklagesse

Reaction score
Oops I didn't even realize I wasn't posting under the axie section...

and the temp inside the tank reached 72F, although I think I could switch out the glass lid for one that's more breathable... and also put it closer to the AC. I don't want to have to wait another summer to get some axies though. I didn't get any last year so that I could keep track of the temperature during the hotter days. I might just go ahead and try them this time around...

Thank you! :)

Kaini

Reaction score
Switching the lid for a mesh lid will actually help keep the temp down :>

Elliriyanna

Reaction score
did it reach 72 with the chiller? If its only for a few days you can simply get a mesh top and a fan and that will bring it down a few degrees :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1