Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New tank, New Axies??

Veerie

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my 2 lotls from a 10 gallon to a 46 gallon bowfront. It has sand an a cave, filter, bubbler and i am gradually adding more hiding. I am wondering if it would be okay to have 5 lotls in this tank. Also, I am having a very difficult time finding lotls about the same size (5 inches??). I hard its best for them to be near the same size but if I need to go bigger or smaller which would be best?

Kaini

Reaction score
Generally the rule is 1 lotl per 10 gallons, but a bow front isn't going to have as much floor space as a normal tank (I think...? bow fronts are generally taller than they are long) and with Axolotls it's all about floor space since they don't spend a lot of time swimming. I would probably go 3 or 4 lotls in a tank that size...? Guessing here, someone else can weigh in.

I would mix sizes with Axolotls - if the smaller ones can even remotely fit into the larger one's mouthes, they'll end up lunch.

Also if you just moved tanks, you're going to have to re-cycle it so I'd watch your water parameters if I were you. :>

Veerie

Reaction score
Oh, I should have mentioned that the tank is cycled. Thats why they have been in a ten, waiting on the darn tank to hurry up and cycle. I kind of figured 4 would be my max because of floor space.

How close in size should they be? Will a 4 or 6 inch be okay with my two 5 inch?

Kaini

Reaction score
Ah well that's great :> I wasn't sure if you'd just moved the filter over from the ten or cycled the other tank. Cool.

Just close enough to where they can't fit each other in their mouths xD I think the general rule is they should be within an inch of each other ....? I'm not 100% clear on this since I've only ever kept one Axolotl, maybe someone else can help here.

Veerie

Reaction score
Ok thanks! Weird thing, we are both the same age and live in the same state! Where did you get your lotl?

Kaini

Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhhh hello fellow Missouri person

I actually bought Zion from a breeder here on the site, Margie :>

Veerie

Reaction score
See, I feel like thats what I'll end up having to do. I have a leucistic and wild type but thats all the breeder in Springfield has so Im gonna look into having one shipped.

Kaini

Reaction score
See, I feel like thats what I'll end up having to do. I have a leucistic and wild type but thats all the breeder in Springfield has so Im gonna look into having one shipped.

Margie might actually still have some 5 inch babies right now : o Last time I checked she had some 5 inch goldens and wilds...?

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
I was at Margie's today and she's got all sorts of babies :3 If they weren't 5 inches then there are some that will be soon. She's got a ton of babies growing out right now too. She's super friendly, I'm sure once she's got the chance to get online if you messaged her you could find out exactly what she's got right now.

digitalri0t and I became really good friends through here, you guys should just go be friends too :3

HayleyK

Reaction score
I think the 1 axie = 1.5 ft tank and then an extra ft per extra axolotl. Just because people have such high tanks which makes their tanks hold more gallons - that's just wasted space and not suitable at all.

It's all about floor space :) both length and width, not so much height.

tinyali

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few ideas on this forum on how to increase floor space in a taller tank. You can use hides with flat tops that they can lie on. I've put a couple of bathroom trays in my tank which are attached with suction cups (I call them the mezzanines!) I've seen a picture of someone's tank who put a smaller tank inside on its side to create an extra level.

JessJesting

Reaction score
I love the idea of using some kind of flat surface and suction cups. Probably gonna make one of my own for my tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HayleyK

Reaction score
I've seen quite a few ideas on this forum on how to increase floor space in a taller tank. You can use hides with flat tops that they can lie on. I've put a couple of bathroom trays in my tank which are attached with suction cups (I call them the mezzanines!) I've seen a picture of someone's tank who put a smaller tank inside on its side to create an extra level.

Hehe must be my tank. And it gives me so much more space as I can fit a hide up top and two below as well as giving a nice shady area underneath.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1