Interesting axolotl facts

spot26

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,
My 9yr old daughter has to do a project for school and she's picked the life cycle of an axolotl.
I was wondering if anyone could tell us some interesting facts about axolotls that she could add to her project? Nothing to complicated please :)

Nothing too complicated, umm....

1. Axolotls never metamorphose onto land - they stay in the water their whole lives
2. They start out as eggs
3. They breathe with their gills - the frilly things on their heads!
4. They have fun color morphs - Like Golden albino, melanoid, and leucistic which is pink!

Uhhhh I don't know what kind of facts are you looking for? What do you already know? I'm trying to think of things that aren't too involved lD

They can grow back limbs!
They have gigantic mouths (google a yawning axolotl :lol:)
They can eat REALLY big things including rocks :(

Well they can morph but it's uncommon

Awesome thanks!!! That is exactly what we want to know.

They are almost extinct in the wild, one of the reasons being is because the lakes where they're from in Mexico are polluted. Also, translated they're name means Water Monster. They'll eat each other when they're young.They don't have eyelids so they like to stay in the dark and they love it pretty cold 15-18C

Thanks!!! I love the one about not having eyelids haha.

They aren't born with any legs. They develop these a little later. The 'arms' coming in first...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this on LotlLove.org.
I put this up in my middle school science classroom with pictures of my axolotls and some other facts for Odd Creature Feature of the week awhile ago.

lotllove_kidsheet.jpg

You could probably google or search on youtube for gill flicking. I swear sometimes mine use it as a mean of communicating but i know they do this to shake off the co2 on their gills, to make room for more oxygen.

And their eggs are translusent so you can actually watch it develop in the egg :) it starts twitching in the egg and when it is almost ready to hatch you can see their eyes, gills an organs through the egg!

also they have 8 fingers and 10 toes. and some even glow under a black light!

They breathe through their gills, but can come to the surface and take a gulp of air through their mouths if they need to.

They are from the same family of animals as frogs and toads.

Found this on LotlLove.org.
I put this up in my middle school science classroom with pictures of my axolotls and some other facts for Odd Creature Feature of the week awhile ago.

Did a 9 year old create that poster?
"They never evolved enough to live on land"
You put that up in a science classroom?

You sure are quick to right the wrongs of the world.
I did not create it, nor do I beleive a 9 year old created it, even though it was intended to be simple for children.
But it was a good intro into an organism that many here have never heard of.
Yes, I did put it up, and yes I did correct that fact by posting pictures right next to it showing them what they actually look like when they do go though metamorphoses.

I wasn't being pedantic about metamorphosis. I was pointing out that stating an animal isn't "evolved enough" for a trait, shows a fundamental misunderstanding of Darwinian evolution. They may be children, but that is the age when most are introduced to the theory of evolution.

Wow!!! So many replies. Thanks so much!
My daughter will be thrilled when i show her after school today. Shes very excited about this project.
We have 2 baby axolotls we are raising and she loves watching them eat because she can see the worms inside their heads haha.

I like watching the worms inside my golden's head! Then poof it's gone down the belly. lol

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back