Question: How long to float the bag when they arrive home?

Pugwinkle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have my aquarium ready for my Newts and will be picking them up today. The water at the aquarium store is in the mid 70's but my Newt tank is at around 70 degrees. The guy at the pet store said I should float the bag for about an hour when I get them home. Do you agree with this? I'm a bit concerned about having them in the bag for that long. Won't that stress them out even further?

If I were you I would transport them in a small tub with some wet paper towels or moss instead. I don't like the thought of them sloshing around in a bag of water for the journey, and that way you don't need to worry too much about temperatures. Just pop them on their land portion when you get home and they'll go into the water in their own time.

Its a petstore they will most likely insist they are bagged ...

I always float about 15-20 mins its such a small amount of water that it doesnt take super long to adjust. Though this is not with newts ... but with lotls, fish , snails and shrimp ...

I use the drip method to acclimate my pets. I think it's a better way to get them adjusted to your water parameters. It takes longer but worth it if you ask me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back