Driftwood/Mopani wood

Pugwinkle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
The only wood I've seen available at our aquarium stores is called Mopani wood. Is that the same as what some call Driftwood? I would like to get a piece of wood for my Newts tank so that I can get some plants to eventually attach to it. Will the Mopani wood work for this?

Mopani is a type of wood from a specific type of tree.

Driftwood is a generic term for any......driftwood!

And best of all, it's FREE if you're willing to get out there and look for it.

As long as driftwood has been thoroughly soaked and cured to leach out any harmful components and leave pretty much just the dead wood cellulose fibres, it should be safe to use. Mind you, this can take a long time depending on size and type.

I have many pieces I've soaked/dried/soaked over the years and I use them in my various terrariums/aquariums without issue.

I like to use Mopani wood in my tanks because it doesn't really decompose (at all) and it sinks right away. Initially there usually is some fungus growth on the wood, breaking down any loose organic material on the surface, but boiling it before its used will reduce this (as well as release some of the tannins).
Found wood can work well in aquatic tanks, but only if its from a hardwood tree and is boiled before use. However, using it in excess in a stagnant, non-oxygenated tank would not be a great idea because a fair amount of decomposition would occur on most of those woods (potentially creating low O2 levels and a nasty bog smell) .

The only wood I've seen available at our aquarium stores is called Mopani wood. Is that the same as what some call Driftwood? I would like to get a piece of wood for my Newts tank so that I can get some plants to eventually attach to it. Will the Mopani wood work for this?
Mopani is commonly used to attach annubias, java fern, and moss to so it would work great.

Off topic so sorry! bman - Just out of curiousity what is your procedure of making driftwood safe? I live near a lake and I always find good pieces but I'm afraid to use them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just have to bake or boil driftwood

I personally love Mopani :) It does leech tannins but its actually good for lotl skin even though it means your tank wont be completely clear.

Thanks for all the info. I will be looking for some suitable mopani wood for my aquarium.

Off topic so sorry! bman - Just out of curiousity what is your procedure of making driftwood safe? I live near a lake and I always find good pieces but I'm afraid to use them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/

Soak the wood, then drain, then soak some more, then drain,etc., etc., etc. Keep it completely under water, weighted down if necessary. It's a judgement call. Just make sure you never use soft, rotted wood.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back