Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

just tested my water,
my PH is about 7.2-7.6
my ammonia level is 3 ppm
nitrite about 2 ppm
and nitrate around 15 ppm

any advice on what i should be do to safely take ammonia down?
thank you in advance

Do you have any fish in your tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes i do 2 axolotls i have had for around 2 months. both seem happy.
they played together for the first time i have noticed yesterday.
and they are eating normally too.

Water change! I would do a serious of small water changes over the next week or so until you get it under control. And then weekly ones. Apparently seachems prime will 'detoxify' your ammonia to make it temporarily safe until you can get it to permanent safe levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those levels are too high. Do a water change immediately until the ammonia and nitrite levels go below 1ppm, preferably below .5.

Your tank isn't cycled. Having a cycled tank is essential to keeping axolotls or any aquatic life. Here's a resource on tank cycling:Scales Tails Wings and Things, What is Aquarium Cycling? How to Cycle your Tank

Please give it a read. Since your tank is in the middle of cycling you need to test daily and do daily water changes to keep the levels from damaging your axolotls.

i was feeding them bloodworms at night time and using a siphon to remove uneaten ones the next morning. would that be the cause?

I just told you the cause, your tank isn't cycled. Aquatic animals create ammonia when they breathe and poop, your axolotls are the cause and having a cycled tank solves this problem. Please read the article I linked you.

But yes you also shouldnt be leaving uneaten food overnight, that's too long.

okay so according to this i need to change the water upto 25% untill ammonia is lower than .5 and monitor everday untill ammonia levels stop increasing as much?

More than a 25% change will probably be necessary to get the ammonia and nitrites down. But yes monitor daily. In a cycled tank the ammonia and nitrite should always be 0.

okay thank you.
whate would be suitable nitrate levels once it is cycled?
im also moving to earthworms so there will be no food waste.

Nitrate is the final product of the nitrogen cycle and is considered safe in freshwater aquariums under 40ppm. I usually try to keep mine around 20. Weekly water changes take care of nitrate once your tank is cycled.

Sounds good :)

i was feeding them bloodworms at night time and using a siphon to remove uneaten ones the next morning. would that be the cause?

I wouldn't leave them in over night. Siphon them an hour or so after when your axolotls have finished eating. That will definitely be adding to the ammonia.

More than a 25% change will probably be necessary to get the ammonia and nitrites down. But yes monitor daily. In a cycled tank the ammonia and nitrite should always be 0.

I agree. You should do 50% (or more) 50% would cut your ammonia to 1.5ppm, which still isn't safe, but better than 3ppm. I would even do 75%. New water is less stressful than high ammonia.

My advice ... Get those lotls into temp containers that you can do water changes on daily. Get bottled ammonia and just let the tank cycle ...

Its not safe for lotls to be in a cycling tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back