Can I use ceramic tiles?

milahoh

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have searched the forum, and I cannot seem to find any question to whether or not I can use ceramic tiles for my tank bottom. I am setting up a 40 gallon breeder (bottom is 36x18) and was thinking of using two 18-inch tiles . Would these hurt my axolotls if they have never been used before and have no glue or anything else on them? Just curious, I want them to have them best homes possible.

Depends on the glaze more than the tile - some glazes may contain metal salts which could leach into the water over time.

Slate tiles would be safer, as would unfinished/unglazed tiles.

Okay, thank you. I can always use slate tiles, and they are very pretty. It was just a thought, but as I said, I would never want to use something harmful. Do you have a reccomendation as to the type of silicone to use? Or is it any 100% silicone, properly cured?

Okay, thank you. I can always use slate tiles, and they are very pretty. It was just a thought, but as I said, I would never want to use something harmful. Do you have a reccomendation as to the type of silicone to use? Or is it any 100% silicone, properly cured?

Yep any 100% silicone, and double check that it doesn't claim to be antifungal or anything like that :)

It says 100% silicone, but hen says that 100% silicone never molds??? Or naturally mold resistant...

Don't use mold resistant silicone.

Use aquarium sealant - it's sold at most pet stores.

Aquarium sealant is just 100% silicone for a ripoff price.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back