Your tanks with live plants and homemade backgrounds?

KristenW

Reaction score
Country
United States
This summer I want to take on a project for my axolotl, and want to make him a lotl mansion house. It'll either be in my twenty gallon or I will upgrade him to a thirty gallon. I also am planning on purchasing him a friend.

Can anyone share with me what plants you used and pictures? And also if you've made like a background with caves or what not and how you went about it? I want a very nice looking tank for him. He's a king. :)

I have a few pictures up on instagram Instagram ,my tanks have the following plants in it all doing well on various bogwoods etc. Both tanks have a cave and one tank has a rock background the other is a blackboard paint on the back (outside) to make the background black, it's a 2nd hand tank but I do like the finish.

Java moss
Marimo moss balls
Java fern
Anubias nanas
Vallisneria americana

I tired water wisteria also but it was getting stripped so I moved it out of the tank.

Here are some pictures that I'm using as inspiration for my new 200L tank.

3D Alcove Low Water Aquarium.jpg

Alcove low water.jpg

3D aquarium ledges and caves.jpg

Plants growing out of low water tank.jpg

It's going to have to wait until the summer as I have a degree to finish! But afterwards I'm looking forward to making a real aquascape that can maximise the usable floor space and incorporate lots of aquatic and river bank plants.

Search 'Riparium' on google images. I think they would all make excellent axie tanks

I am setting a tank up for axies right now this is how it currently looks I hope it grows out nicely.

ara6ubut.jpg

What are those stalks? Live bamboo???

Here are some pictures that I'm using as inspiration for my new 200L tank.

View attachment 36634

View attachment 36635

View attachment 36636

View attachment 36637

It's going to have to wait until the summer as I have a degree to finish! But afterwards I'm looking forward to making a real aquascape that can maximise the usable floor space and incorporate lots of aquatic and river bank plants.

Search 'Riparium' on google images. I think they would all make excellent axie tanks

Have people on here made these backgrounds on here? Do they have a how to or anything? or what its made of?

I love some of these!

No matter what I've put inside of the tank,simple or complex,I've always made the back outside of the tanks black.sometimes the sides to. I use paint ,cardboard, plastic whatever will work.paint it ,tape it ,glue it on.it cuts down on excessive light and outside interferences. It also brings out a museum quality in the display.

No matter what I've put inside of the tank,simple or complex,I've always made the back outside of the tanks black.sometimes the sides to. I use paint ,cardboard, plastic whatever will work.paint it ,tape it ,glue it on.it cuts down on excessive light and outside interferences. It also brings out a museum quality in the display.

What kinds of paint can you use? Is it easy?

My tank is painted outside with blackboard paint.

Have people on here made these backgrounds on here? Do they have a how to or anything? or what its made of?

I love some of these!

There are tutorials on Google. You make the basic shape out of polystyrene, since it can be easily shaped. This is then coated in diluted cement and paint, and the resulting thing is siliconed to the back wall.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back