Holiday care

bugdozer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be going on holiday in the summer, for just over a week. I am concerned about how to look after our pair of axolotls in that time.
Options that I have thought of include getting a neighbour in to feed them (not ideal as my wife is unhappy with anyone coming into our house while we are away, and the neighbour won't be competent to hand feed them worms as they are used to) or leaving them without food and hoping they'll be all right (which leaves me worrying I'll come home to find one with a missing leg as the other was too hungry to resist).
The other issue, as it's the summer, will be keeping the tank temperature down. I have no chiller and I am concerned the temperature may rise to unpleasant levels for a long time. This will then lead to them having a higher metabolism and starving faster as well.
I had read somewhere that fridging them for a week might be a possibility, but am concerned that this is cruel to do just for convenience. I don't want to hurt them.
What do you folks advise?

Oh, another idea occurred to me too - putting some sort of live food in the tank that they won't eat all in one go.

Could you take them with you in a temporary tank or container where you're going? I wouldn't leave them without food for a week.

During my spring break I took Zion home with me in a 2.5 gallon. Obviously not suitable for a permanent home, but it was okay just for the week, and I could monitor him, keep his temp correct and feed him daily.

Could you take them with you in a temporary tank or container where you're going? I wouldn't leave them without food for a week.

During my spring break I took Zion home with me in a 2.5 gallon. Obviously not suitable for a permanent home, but it was okay just for the week, and I could monitor him, keep his temp correct and feed him daily.

No, it's not really possible. :(

Then it'd be best if you could have someone look after them while you're gone... watch the temp and feed them. I wouldn't just leave them to their own devices for a week... How old are they again? You might be able to get away with it with an adult, but with a juvenile, no.

They will be ten months old at that time.

If you post your location someone here might offer temporary housing and care for a week - I know you're not a million miles from me and there are a few others in the area who might help.

We've got the same issue over Easter, as we're going away.

We're lucky to have an awesome neighbor with a real good son who'll feed them for us.

I understand your wifes reluctance to have someone in the house, luckily our tanks are on the back deck and in the garage, so we can give him partial access to feed our animals.

The only advice I can offer from experience is that if you leave them unfed for 5 days, you could well expect some missing arms and legs when you get back (I've only ever left them for 2 days).

Mine are well fed and one lost a half inch of tail recently.

I think finding someone to lodge them with is probably the best option, then. Thanks guys.

You could get a divider so they avoid nipping at each other if they do get hungry. Maybe some feeder shrimp might help keep them fed while you're gone.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back