Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Smelly Tank

Connor

Reaction score
Hey guys, my problem is my tank smells really bad. Its kind if like a stale sweat smell. It first I thought it was the live plants but removed them and replaced them with plastic ones and it made a difference for a day.I eventually striped the tank back. Scrubbed it, cleaned the sand and ornaments, changed around 50% of the water (I know but the smell was unbearable). Less than 2 days later the smells back and i have not fed him yet so it cant be rotting food. Anyone have an ideas :confused:

HayleyK

Reaction score
I'm unsure what it could be but a healthy tank kind of has a smell to it. Kind of like fresh dirt?

If you scrubbed everything down you most likely killed off your beneficial bacteria in your tank and would have to restart you cycle..

Connor

Reaction score
Its definetly not a fresh dirt smell, its smelling out the house.

Thought that might of happened. When I cleaned it there was like a sort of slime on the sides of the tank

HayleyK

Reaction score
My tank has slimey sides too, however it's clear until you use something to wipe across it, then it's like a very, very pale brown.

Are you sure it is your tank if it's smelling out the house?

What are your parameters and temp?

Connor

Reaction score
My tank has slimey sides too, however it's clear until you use something to wipe across it, then it's like a very, very pale brown.

Are you sure it is your tank if it's smelling out the house?

What are your parameters and temp?

Not exactly the whole house but you can smell it from outside the room.

Temperature is steady at 17C at the moment.

I still need to give it a test, il let you know as soon as I have done

leandrah

Reaction score
Are you sure there is no rotting food in the tank?

How many Axies do you have in the tank and what size is it?
Frequent Water Changes stops the smell

Connor

Reaction score
Are you sure there is no rotting food in the tank?

How many Axies do you have in the tank and what size is it?
Frequent Water Changes stops the smell

Definitely no rotting food. Just one axl in a 50 litre tank. I have tried but it makes no difference

kcoscia

Reaction score
Did the slimy walls have a blue/green color? Blue green algae has a strong earthy smell

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

Kaini

Reaction score
A healthy tank shouldn't have a smell - usually smell is caused by poor water quality / high ammonia. I'd test you water. By cleaning out the whole tank you've likely crashes your cycle and you're going to have spikes of ammonia and nitrite that can be very dangerous to your animal.

Do frequent water changes and again, test your water.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
May not be the popular answer here, but I'd say buy a new tank. A tank by itself, that size, shouldn't run you a whole lot. They should be replaced every ten years anyway from what i've been told. They're should be a date of manufacture on the bottom of your tank posted somewhere.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Are you sure its the tank causing the smell? Could there have been a spill of dirty water where you can't see it? Could the tank be causing damp in the room?

A healthy tank might smell a bit 'green', but it shouldn't smell bad.

smiley1996

Reaction score
I had this problem turnt out it was my filter ... it stunk! Changed all the media gave it a good scrub and never smelt since **touch wood** :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1