Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Babies hatched today

PocketMiner

Reaction score
Came home from school to see 3 gorgeous baby's in the container. One is very big, doubled in size since this morning. I also had another who was slightly smaller and not swimming as much, just sitting on the bottom. I took a picture then noticed something, is he a Chimera?

To me it looks like his body is perfectly split, one side pink the other speckled with his whole head almost speckled too. Here is a pic and what do you think?
Don't know very much about Chimeras.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 282

auntiejude

Reaction score
Why does everone think they have a chimera whenever they get one with slightly asymmetric markings? I had several with off-centre markings in my last batch, they all evened out after a few weeks.

Chimeras are REALLY RARE - 1 in one hundred thousand. And many die prematurely due to asymmetric development.

That photo is not clear enough to tell,and it's probably best left for a few weeks anyway.

PocketMiner

Reaction score
Thank you very much, I know they are very rare haha but this one is different from the rest, completely split down the middle apart from the head. Half pink and the other side pure grey, not speckle.

Just curious, doesn't matter to me what it is, as long as it's happy :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1