Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cant figure out how to help sick axolotl

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
I recently acquired a juvi axolotl three weeks ago and have since absolutely fallen for the little guy. Ive got him set up in a ten gallon, bare bottomed atm and everything was wonderful until about four days ago. He started acting funny and stopped eating.

The water stays at about 69-70 degrees, i usually change 50 percent of the water every week but since hes been sick ive done water changes nearly every day. I was given sinking salmon pellets to feed him and he was eating well before now.

He started out by being very lethargic and floating on top of the plants near the waters surface (which isnt too bad but he was doing it far more than normal). His gills have started to curl forwards and they are darker. (they looked poor until two days ago they seem to be getting better now but his behavior isnt improving). He's constantly flicking them now, he wasnt before. He gave a good poo and seemed to feel better a few days ago but that only lasted a few hours. Since then i tried to feed him only for him to spit out the food and ignore it. id say its been two maybe three days since he ate possibly.

His tail Isnt curled. I dont see any signs of parasites or fungus.

At one point i turned the filter flow up to try and see if the water needed more oxygen in it that didnt help so i have turned it lower then usual trying to see if reducing the water flow will help any.

Today he hasnt moved at all until i gently poked him (to make sure he wasnt dead) and i just dont know what else i can do/am doing wrong. I am a very worried new pet parent that has had fish and reptiles before but these guys are new to me and i just dont know what to do to help.

Kaini

Reaction score
First of all, what are your water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in ppm. Keeping track of the parms is extremely important in keeping Axolotls (you should be testing regularly with a liquid test kit, strips are inaccurate).

I would guess there is probably something up with your water quality. Switching to daily changes was the thing to do - is your tank cycled? Do you know?

Also 70 might be a tad high for an axolotl. Do you have a fan or something you could cool the tank with? If the tank has a lid, removing it would also lower the temperature a tad.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
If you can post a picture of him and his environment, that would be really helpful. Are you sure that the tank is completely cycled? Are you testing for nitrites and nitrates as well as PH and ammonia? In a fully cycled tank a 20-25% water change with dechlorinated water should suffice. How is the lighting? Is the tank in an active area? Does he have a few hiding places? The temp is a bit higher than they prefer. The filter should be kept on low, as water flow is one of the major stressors for axolotls. They eat when they're hungry and spit it out when they're full or their tummys are bothering them. Also possible, even likely, that you inherited an unhealthy axolotl. The wonderful thing about that is that they can heal very quickly in proper conditions.:yin-yang:

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
I dont know my parameters as when i went to dig out my test kit i found it had leaked all out in the containers it was in. I am going TODAY to get another one though so I should be able to have some idea tonight of what they are.

The tank isnt cycled ,which is entirely my fault, the axolotl was brought home on short notice. I should have known better but i had never cycled fish in before. I feel really guilty about this part.

The tank is in the coldest room in the house on a stand with a mesh lid.No lighting. There are hiding spots. I'll invest in a fan when i go out tonight as well. I have a frozen water bottle of good water ive been using occasionally as well.

Here is a picture of him when i first got him:
CAM005251_zps70320970.jpg

Here is a picture i toke just now.
CAM005701_zps89bf2e96.jpg

Kaini

Reaction score
Yea getting the water tested is going to be your next step, as that'd be my guess as to what is up.

Smoxolotl

Reaction score
He's very cute! Get him in a tub with good clean water until your tank is fully cycled, or do daily water changes to keep him healthy.

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
I just realized your probably the same "Kaini" that replied to my tumblr post a few days ago on the same subject. I feel really embarrassed now but I would also like to thank you for the suggestion of daily water changes. Since ive been doing them his gills have began to feather out again. I think that's a sign that hes slowly getting better i hope.

Kaini

Reaction score
I just realized you're probably the same "Kaini" that replied to my tumblr post a few days ago on the same subject. I feel really embarrassed now but I would also like to thank you for the suggestion of daily water changes. Since i've been doing them his gills have began to feather out again. I think that's a sign that hes slowly getting better i hope.

Ah yes, that was me XD Don't be embarassed :> Yep I would guess you have high ammonia which burned his gills off. Keep doing daily changes and test your water asap :>

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
A little update.

got a test kit and the ammo reading is under .25 ppm. no nitrates or nitrites. still doing water changes.

bought a fan and its helping tons more than expected along with frozen bottles every now and then It keeps the water around 65-66 now.

His gills are getting more feathery still. His behavior seems to be improving at times but Hes still very inactive compared to before though. Hes getting skinnier and i just cant get him to eat. Ive tried bloodworms and more pellets. He ate one pellet a few days ago and thats all. He's barely snapping at his food, like he'll see it and give a tiny tiny snap but miss and then he wont go after it even though its millimeters away from him. Should I just wait and see if he continues to improve and his appetite might too?

spot26

Reaction score
Have you tried feeding him an earthworm? The wriggling might make him interested.
How big is he?

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
Stupid question. Where do you guys get your earthworms? I dont think ive seem them in petstores before and ive always been taught to be wary of just picking up things out of your yard to feed your pets.

He's still very young. If he did eat a worm it would have to be really small I imagine.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I believe in America one of the best places to get Earthworms is a store called Bunnings - I've heard of people getting worm starter packs from there for very little money. Also, apparently some gas stations sell them.

As for a cheap worm bin: Cheap and Easy Worm Bin!

I get mine from Yorkshire Worms, who deliver, but I don't know if they deliver in America. There are probably some companies that do though :)

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
Never heard of Bunnings but the bin looks like a neat idea though. I'll defs check it out.

As for gas stations. I know we have gas station bait shops but ive never wanted to buy crickets or worms from them on account of not knowing if the bait shop is free from parasites and stuff.

Also my axolotl made a poo this morning so i suppose he's eating something maybe just when im not looking? That relieves my worries a little bit though.

spot26

Reaction score
How big is your axolotl?
If you dont use any chemicals in your garden, you can dig up some worms and rinse them off before giving them to your pet.
If your axolotl is small you can chop them up a bit. (Mine is 8cm and is eating earthworms.)

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
He's about ten cm.

Spring has just started so we havnt used any sprays outside yet this year. It's raining tonight too so i might luck up and find a few.

spot26

Reaction score
Also i believe compost worms are fine as well. Just rinse first.
Your axolotl is big enough to eat them but don't make the same mistake i did and feed too many. If he takes the first one, wait a while before offering the 2nd one or he might regurgitate the whole lot!!!

smurfrider

Reaction score
I get my worms from walmart's bait department. They usually have both red wigglers and night crawlers. I just cut them up with scissors for my smaller axies.

Petersgirl

Reaction score
A few worm tips if you do decide to start your own worm farm:

* Auntiejude told me this, and it's invaluable: worms love mashed potato! So if you have any left bung some in to your worm bin. They will also take any vegetarian waste such as veggie and fruit peelings, eggshells and teabags. They also like cardboard and will use it as a bedding and as a food. Please don't put any oils, fats or meat waste in your bin - it attracts rats and other predators.

* If you can, feed the smallest worms to your axolotl. The larger ones will breed for you and make more food.

* If your axolotl won't eat a large worm, you can cut it into smaller pieces using scissors (it's much quicker). I hate doing this but if it's the worm or a starving axxie my choice is made for me. Be warned - worms bleed when you cut them.

* You can blanch a worm before the axolotl eats it if it doesn't like the secretions they produce when stressed (you can see this as a white/grey sort of cloud coming off the worm in the water). Simply pour hot water over the worm to stun it. It won't secrete anything nasty after this.

These are a few tips I picked up after using worms for a few months. I find them the best food for axolotls, packed full of nutrients, and also good for weight gain on a small or sickly axxie. What Spot26 said is also true: some axolotls need to 'learn' to eat worms and either won't eat them at first or, if given one too big, or too many, may be 'sick' because the worms wriggle when they're being swallowed. I give mine smaller ones and work my way up to the larger ones if they seem hungry. My Little Jack, who had never eaten worms before, is, a week later, eating large worms with no trouble. Most axxies love them!

Also, do you have nitrates yet? I'm a little concerned because you say you had a very small amount of ammonia (0.25) and no nitrite, which is good, but you should have some nitrates if your tank is cycled (40 ppm and less is the general safe point).

TopHatViolet

Reaction score
Good new! Axie seems back to his old self. He was eating and swimming around yesterday like normal again.

Bad news!: Yesterday this weird white fuzzy stuff appeared in the tank. Its not on the axie at all just everywhere else, on the decor and plants and its just come out of no where and its suddenly on everything! The only thing i did different was wipe a tiny portion of the glass of the tank off cause it was getting foggy looking (from bacteria i assumed). It's slimy and feathery looking. I tested my water and im getting barely any ammo reading at all under .25 and nothing on the others. Maybe its from the tank trying to cycle? im not sure ono It just makes the water look totally gross.

CAM005861_zps802b575d.jpg

CAM005881_zps4f9f6789.jpg

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Is it possible it might be residue from what you used to wipe the tank, for example, fluff from a piece of kitchen roll or a cloth?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!