Help

denise05

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I have had axolotl tadpoles for about 2 months now they have recently started dying rapidly I seperated them but they are still dying 2 or 3 every 12 hours or so I do water changes and am still feeding them rinsed brine shrimp some of the dead look like they have ick? is this possible ? any help would be greatly appreciated I went from 65 to less then 20 in a matter of days

What are you keeping them in? Are they all together? Are they different sizes? What's the temp of the water? How often are you changing the water?
Need a little more info...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have them in 4oz party cups right now everyone in their own cup water is room temp abiut 68 or so some are smaller then others I just don't know why they are dying so suddenly fine one minute fuzzy and belly up the next

I'm guessing that too much stress from water changes and not having any hides isn't helping their situation. Perhaps instead a 100% water change once a day with feces, dead plants, uneaten food etc. removed after a while as you see it. Also a larger container with dark lid. I bought my 12"x12" plastic containers at the Dollar Store. Fill with floating plants etc. to hide under. Rotate containers daily with water changes. Hope any of this helps! :yin-yang:

At 2 months axies should be around 2 inches long, have fully formed front legs and should be starting to show back leg development. They should be on small worms by now too.

If they have no legs and are much smaller than 2" I'd say they were malnourished.

Switch them up to bloodworm, blackworm, or even small earthworms.

thank you very much this is my first tine I wondered why they aren't growing very fast I feed them twoce a day but I must not be feeding them enough I fill a large turkey baster full off chopped black worms and share it between the 15 I have left there is always left over worms when I do water changes ...m definitely a learning experience

"I must not be feeding them enough I fill a large turkey baster full off chopped black worms and share it between the 15 I have left there is always left over worms when I do water changes ...m definitely a learning experience"

That is alot of food for 15 larvae! Underfeeding is not the issue then. May be the uneaten food spoiling the water. Even for a short time, that could turn the water quite quickly!

it might be I have just recently started black worms and have been doing brine shrimp in the morn. and black worms at night now it will be just strictly blackworms my husband had a theory about fungal infections but fingers crossed I haven't lost any in a couple days so something must b working

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back