Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie wont eat?

smiley1996

Reaction score
Okay so I got a new axie last tuesday melanoid albino, he has been eating since 3 days ago he stopped, he now takes in the worms and spits them out. I blanch them, I make sure they are at the right length I even (as nasty as it sounds) cut pieces off to make it even smaller. For days hes been trying to pass waste and from what ive seen nothing comes out :-/ he sat there for an hour yesterday and there was no show of anything but he had his legs up by his sides ready to go. His pet shop substrate was sand and in the feeding jar there seems to be what looks like sand. I dont know what to do and im pretty scared hes only thin not passing properly and not eating properly ? :-/

matias

Reaction score
that seems to be a common issue in axolotl, the first time (when u get it from the pet shop and put it in a tank) they wont eat for a while. and axolotls are like children (they have different personalities and tastes), i have one that hates earthworms (and i have to feed it with little fishes) and the other loves them. i would offer him food every day, if it does not acceptit dont force it. try with other kind of food.

smiley1996

Reaction score
I know I shouldn't of but yesterday I tried him with prawn bloodworm earthworm and even a little turkey he took it in and spat it out :-/

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

smiley1996

Reaction score
And he/she ate when he was here he was eating earthworms for the first 5/6 days then he just stopped and is struggling (by the looks of things ) to pass anything :-/

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

auntiejude

Reaction score
How big is your new axie? Some smaller axies can have trouble passing sand, bu tif he's over 5" it should be OK. Keep offering worms.

At 3 days I wouldn't worry too much, if it gets to a week I would fridge him and see if he can pass whatever is blocking him up.

EmbryH

Reaction score
What kind of worms are you using? You mention blanching, and I've known that to be a common practice when feeding them red worms. If that's what you're trying, red worms can have a bad taste that many axies won't like.

How big is it? What does its stomach look like? If an axolotl has substrate in the belly you can usually tell by looking at it.

As auntiejude said, keep offering it earthworms. If your axolotl is constipated then you should try fridging it; that can usually help. Don't do that just yet, though... keep observing for now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!