Big tank and homemade background questions.

KristenW

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I am looking to upgrade tank sizes and make a homemade background, but have a few questions.

If I wanted about five axolotls in one large tank, around how big would you say would be best? I know it's typically 10 gallons per axolotl, but I feel like that might be too small?

AND

I want to make a homemade 3D background but without cement. Would I be able to just shape it as I wish, you silicone to glue the pieces together, paint it with regular acrylic paint, and then use an acrylic sealant like drylok has for porches?

So I am looking to upgrade tank sizes and make a homemade background, but have a few questions.

If I wanted about five axolotls in one large tank, around how big would you say would be best? I know it's typically 10 gallons per axolotl, but I feel like that might be too small?

AND

I want to make a homemade 3D background but without cement. Would I be able to just shape it as I wish, you silicone to glue the pieces together, paint it with regular acrylic paint, and then use an acrylic sealant like drylok has for porches?

Not sure about the diy background but there are a bunch of threads on them. As far as tank size the bigger the better. A 55 for 5 axies is fine , but i dont like the footprint of the 55 too much, a 40 breeder offers a wider tank, or a 75 is a great option if u want one that big.

What are the actual measurements of your tank? It may be 55, but if the ground space is small it's not recommended to keep 5.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back