Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Euthanising Axolotls

DomDaw

Reaction score
I have never come across any of my axolotls who have been sick apart from a few bitten legs and fungi which I took care of. My question here is, if worse comes to worst how do you Euthanise an Axolotl?

To be more precise, I'm talking about circumstances where the Axolotl is constantly throwing up blood, has a large, in curable wound, or a cancer which has got to a stage that suffering and a horrible death is a given. I'm obviously not talking about diseases which are minor or anything.

In these circumstances, people must understand that there is little you can do, even with an animal which has abilities to rejuvenate.

PS: Please don't give me answers like "There's always a way" or "Hang in there". I have had experience in treating sick Axolotls so I understand that common diseases can be easily cured. This is for extreme circumstances where the Axolotl is doomed to a horrible, painful death. A humane way would be great but I understand there might not be one. :(

Skudo09

Reaction score
It would depend on the individual vet clinic as to what method they would use. Here, they would most likely use an injection of a pentobarbitol. Basically an overdose of anaesthetic. But again, it depends on the vet clinic as to their methods and this is something you could ask them. Personally I would only recommend a Veterinarian performs euthanasia unless there was absolutely no access to a Veterinarian.

DomDaw

Reaction score
Thanks, I agree. It should be performed by a vet. I have over 30 axolotls at the moment so I want to have a suitable method in an absolute emergency. I am studying biomedicine so I have some knowledge on preparation but of course no where near what a vet has. All my Axies are in perfect conditions so nothing to worry about at the moment!

Skudo09

Reaction score
It would be difficult to come by pentobarbitol. It is a very restricted drug for good reason. I have read on the forum here others using clove oil (on the link you posted).

Skudo09

Reaction score
Glad to hear you don't have to consider euthanasia at the present time though! :)

DomDaw

Reaction score
Thanks I'll research all the compounds in the link and find the chemical properties etc etc. Although it's not a big issue, I was just curious. I've had Axolotls for 6 years without an incident so I think I can handle most situations and provide the optimum care.

DomDaw

Reaction score
Oh yes it would be horrible to Euthanise, Although, probably would be better for the Axie in the end. I had a serious fungal infection a few years ago and the axolotls wouldn't eat for ages. But finally I got rid of it with daily salt baths

auntiejude

Reaction score
For larvae and small axies clove oil or lidocaine/benzocaine cream is reasonable. And a sharp flick to the back of yhe head will work too if you know what you are doing.
With clove oil you mix a few drops into a pint of water, shake well and slowly add to the tub your poorly axie is in. I have used this several times on deformed larvae & sick fish, they just slow down and then stop.
Anaesthetic cream is supposed to be rubbed onto their bellies, its absorbed quickly that way.

But for an adult I would go to a vet, I'm not sure I could do it myself.

E

Elise

The article you linked gives a fairly comprehensive list of humane methods commonly used and is generally provided as reccomended reading on the subject. For more specifics you can refer to the excellent sources used in the article or feel free to ask any follow up questions you have here.

DomDaw

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I actually found the article after I posted this. But thank you for your information! Everythings still fine here. All Axolotls are healthy!

Leukloki

Reaction score
Hey all,
I work at a Zoo, worked in various pet clinics and run a small fish rescue out of my house, and I can tell you from having to put down anything from Oscars to small loaches, the clove oil does it peacefully. I work with several vet hospitals and if some one comes in with a sick fish they have no idea what to do. Veterinary medicine and Marine Biology are two very different fields. I am currently in school for Veterinary medicine and can tell you I am taking as many Marine Bio classes as possible, because they don't teach Vets what to do with ailing fish, except for how to euthanize using CO2.
DomDaw,
I am very happy to hear that your ax's are all healthy, this is great information to have upfront before you ever need the help. At home I keep clove oil and suprisingly, vodka... Clove oil first, then when you are certain its over, set animal in vodka in the freezer so that you can be 100%... I've see too many zombie movies I guess. But this always seems the best to me.

Hope that in the UK they teach their vets a thing or two about aquatics. It has always blown my mind that with the number of aquatic lovers in the world, that it can be so hard to find good competent care for them.
But... I guess that's why there are forums... :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!