Question: Other fluorescent proteins

sophieall

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sophieall
This may be a stupid question, but I have always been fascinated with the thought of regenerating limbs and especially having a green fluorescent protein glow. There are many types of fluorescent proteins, not just green. So why can't Axolotls carry different glow genes? Is GFP the only strain the will show under UV light? Glow fish and axolotls are very different, but they come in many different colors. I'm not saying axolotls should be dyed or injected in anyway, just curious. :D

My understanding (someone correct me if this is wrong) is that the GFP axolotls have been genetically modified and you would not naturally see axolotls with fluorescent proteins. It would depend on the genetic modification as to what glow genes they could show.

To the best of my understanding, the GFP axolotl was originally developed in Elly Tanaka's lab in Dresden, Germany for use in studying regeneration and its mechanisms. Unlike other animals sold in pet shops (glow-fish) with similar genetic modifications, the axolotl is very much a laboratory research animal and the introduction of GFP was for research purposes and not for novelty.

Last edited:
So, y'all are saying that there could be other axolotl colors, depending on the strain of fluorescent protein and someone who really knew what they were doing.

There could and in fact i believe there are in laboratory facilities for research purposes. It certainly requires knowledge, materials and machinery that are not available to the public but largely restricted to research facilities. I would also add that someone who "knows what they are doing" and with an ounce of integrity and ethics would not release any of those research animals to the public like already happened with the GFP ones...that was a serious mistake.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back