Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How often do i feed him?

spot26

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My axolotls are growing fast. When i fiirst got them 3wks ago they were tiny and starving to death. The biggest one is now 8cm!! I have switched from frozen bloodworm to earthworms but i'm unsure how many to feed him and how often. He's a bit of a piggy and will eat whatever i put in.

spot26

Reaction score
Well it was time to feed them. I haven't had anyone reply but i went ahead and fed them anyway. I put 2 worms in. He ate the first one no probs. The 2nd one went missing so i assume he ate that one too. Then 20mins later i find regurgitated earthworms and bloodworms on the bottom of the tank!! So i'm guessing 2 worms is too many!!
Should i feed just 1 worm once a day? Is that enough?

HayleyK

Reaction score
I would at that size, imagine two worms trying to sit in his little abdomen :lol:

spot26

Reaction score
Yeah, poor little guy!!
Would it be easier for him to digest if i cut them up? He takes the whole worm with no problems then looks for more.

HayleyK

Reaction score
You can cut them up for easier digestion, and perhaps feed another one in an hour or two.

These guys always seem hungry!

littlebignafe

Reaction score
I feed my growing axolotl (5 months 7 inches!) one largish whole worm a day, he seems to like it :D

Cutting the worms up seems like a good idea at that size (never had really young axolotls :sad:) but i would be careful not to over feed it

spot26

Reaction score
Thats what i'm worried about...overfeeding.
He was so small when i first got him and i've been feeding him up. And suddenly i realise how big he has grown!! So he is big enough to go in my tank now. I removed all the sand and today he moved in!
I will try him on 1 worm each day cut up and see how he goes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1