Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dirty water (a little muddy)

matias

Reaction score
Hi I have axies in outdoor pond, a month ago it rained really heavy and mud came to the pond (the water became,obviously, dirty, but all the particles sedimented and only get dirty not muddy), but with lot of effort (changing water a little per day) the water became again clean. a week ago my dog threw a pot filled with earth, and the pond became dirty again, i was trying to clean it, but it does not get better (not worse, but not better). may I be worried about axies´ health? do mud (it does not have too much, a little in the bottom but I say it again, the water is brown) affect axolotls?

Kaini

Reaction score
I would assume earth wouldn't be harmful to them as they would of course come in contact with it in the wild...

I'm more worried about the fact you're keeping Axolotls in a pond? It doesn't seem like they'd be good pond animals, and I'm actually curious as to how you're pulling it off. How do you keep the pond the proper temperature?

HayleyK

Reaction score
Not only temperature, but how do you keep other potential predators like birds, cats etc out of the pond??

xxianxx

Reaction score
I know several people who keep axolotls in ponds, it mimics their natural habitat more closely than a tank.

xxianxx

Reaction score
In the UK the only realistic predators of adult would be cats and herons, having dogs in the garden tends to exclude cats, there are precautions to prevent fish losses from herons. Not sure what would be trying to eat axolotls in the ops pond

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen axolotls kept and breeding in large outdoor cattle watering troughs, they stay active and feeding right through winter in the UK. Lilly pads or other floating plants can be used to keep temps down in summer.

matias

Reaction score
they are in a pond (and do better than a tank), in summer i´ll put them indoor for the high temps. and in my yard i don´t have predators, they prefer goldfishes. and winter here is not as strong as UK.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1