Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Greetings from Taiwan

numpty

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been signed up here for a while, intending to use the forum more actively but just not being able to find the time. Anyway, I'm happy to be here!

I'm currently working in Taiwan, but grew up in Scotland. I've had an interest in amphibians since childhood, and find Taiwan a fine place to go looking for them. There are currently five species of salamander recognized in Taiwan, all endemic members of Hynobius living high in the mountains. Until last year I was content to spot these in the field, as well as sundry other frogs and toads and other herps, but a little over five months ago I picked up a couple of paddletail newts at a local plant market. I'll detail the circumstances and post some pics in the relevant section when I find time. Anyway, temperatures are rising as summer approaches here, and I'm experimenting with ways to cool the tank, etc. So far they seem happy.

Apart from amphibians, my other main interest is growing carnivorous plants, another childhood fascination that I find myself with the time and money to indulge!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1