Question: What Kind of Blacklight?

Evil Weasel

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm getting a GFP Axolotl soon enough, and was wondering what kind of blacklight to get? I have a 10 gallon tank, and I'm looking for something around $20 or less... Can be a small light in just one area, I don't really mind. I have searched amazon and a local meijer store (Just a grocery store that sells all sorts of stuff), haven't found anything. If there's a lamp I can find at a pet store or on amazon for a good price, that would be awesome. Any ideas?

I... wouldn't recommend getting the black light at all, personally. Exposing the Axolotl to it is kinda cruel - the insides of their EYES themselves glow and they can't get away from the light. It's just not good for them, and there's really no reason to do it other than 'lol my pet glows in the dark'.

I... wouldn't recommend getting the black light at all, personally. Exposing the Axolotl to it is kinda cruel - the insides of their EYES themselves glow and they can't get away from the light. It's just not good for them, and there's really no reason to do it other than 'lol my pet glows in the dark'.

what evidence do you have to back this up?
Ive done lots of searching all over the net and there is little to no evidence to support this nor is there evidence that it is either good or detrimental, in fact everything ive seen is speculative and has no basis in real life, no testing, no experimentation results that Ive been able to find
Do you have any source for your claim?
I would love to see some kind of hard evidence, either supporting or refuting the claim, just some hard facts would be nice, rather than assumptions based on your gut instinct or something like that
If you have evidence please share :)

As for the OP
If you do get a UV light make sure its low intensity, and that you dont leave it on all the time
I wouldnt see any problem with turning it on for a few minutes every so often just to see your lotls glow or share that experience with friends
most animals cant see UV light so its possible it may have no affect on them, unfortunately there just isnt enough information as far as i know so it would be best to play it safe
either no light or limited exposure
I personally am going to look into some UV LEDs with a small dimmer and will only use it to show off the UV gene to friends for maybe a minute or two when someone new hasnt seen it yet

I may have actually found something, I havent read this yet but it looks interesting:
Characterization of an ultraviolet photoreception mechanism in the retina of an amphibian, the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum). - ResearchGate)

Under selective chromatic adaptation with long-wavelength light the eye cups continued to exhibit a peak sensitivity around 360 nm. These data confirm the presence of ultraviolet-sensitive cones in the retina of Ambystoma salamanders.

Its a very interesting read

The functional significance of UV cones in Amby- stoma is as yet unclear. Whether or not Ambystoma pos- sess color vision or chromatic discrimination capabilities which involve a UV photoreception mechanism is un- known. Salamanders in the genus Triturus, however, have been shown to exhibit wavelength-dependent responses to prey and mates [13,14].

What I have heard is from other hobbyists, so I wasn't just 'going by my gut' (I don't give out advice based on gut feelings) but unfortunately I don't have any sort of source for you. :( I believe the person I learned that from was auntiejude, so you could ask her.

Edit: Ah, I'll give that article a read! Seems like they could be sensitive after all, huh?

But the way I see it, (and what follows from here is definitely more of an opinion, so take it with a grain of salt and know other people have other ones) it's unnecessary. It has no value to the needs or care of the animal, and the potential is there that it is harmful, so why do it?

What I have heard is from other hobbyists, so I wasn't just 'going by my gut' (I don't give out advice based on gut feelings) but unfortunately I don't have any sort of source for you. :( I believe the person I learned that from was auntiejude, so you could ask her.

thats what I see a lot, everyone thinks one thing because everyone else does, but no one can explain why
I simply want to know why
I would of course air on the side of caution but I still dont think that using low intensity black lights for short periods of time would be harmful in any way, would be much less UV exposure than a bright sunny day in Mexico ;)

the article is definitely interesting

It has been discussed several times on here.

The simple answer is that GFP should never have made it's way on to the pet trade - simply becaue of people's desire to 'show off' their glowing axie.

If you speak to anyone who has a GFP axie they will tell you thier axie gets agitated under a blacklight - so no blacklight is best.

what evidence do you have to back this up?
Ive done lots of searching all over the net and there is little to no evidence to support this nor is there evidence that it is either good or detrimental, in fact everything ive seen is speculative and has no basis in real life, no testing, no experimentation results that Ive been able to find
Do you have any source for your claim?
I would love to see some kind of hard evidence, either supporting or refuting the claim, just some hard facts would be nice, rather than assumptions based on your gut instinct or something like that
If you have evidence please share :)

This is so absurd. Hyperskepticism is just wanton denialism.
There is plenty of evidence that axolotls react negatively to strong light. They hide from it and avoid it and when exposed suddenly, they dart away and freak out. They don´t have to be able to see UV light at all....because the whole point of fluorescence is that the wavelength of the photons is modified into a different one which is part of the visible spectrum, which is why we see things glow. Even if they had no sensitivity to UV light, they can see the fluorescent wavelength which is demonstrated by the fact that when exposed to wavelengths that cause fluorescence, they act exactly the same way as with strong visible light, they freak out and dart away and show the exact same behaviour of light avoidance. Their eyes glow green, what more evidence could you ask for? You don´t need a scientific paper for an observation as basic as that...

would be much less UV exposure than a bright sunny day in Mexico
Seriously? You do realise axolotls live at the bottom of a deep lake full of sediment, right? Even in cristal clear waters, UV is partly absorved and partly reflected, so intensity would be diminished, but in deep, particle rich waters, it´s just gone...

Last edited:
I may have actually found something, I havent read this yet but it looks interesting:
Characterization of an ultraviolet photoreception mechanism in the retina of an amphibian, the axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum). - ResearchGate)
Its a very interesting read

To me it only shows evidence that axolotls possess mechanisms capable of detecting uv light slightly further into the spectrum than humans are able to. If anything, the light required to excite the gfp gene (395-500nm'ish) would fall into the axoltol's visible range, which could be a stressor for them.

In scientific research the GFP gene is coupled to a gene coding for a protein, so it only lights up that protein the gene codes for. I think in the case of axolotls the GFP is coupled to a protein that's very common in (nearly?) all bodycells (maybe some sort of cytoskeletal protein? IDK! Does anyone know?) In other words, if GFP is expressed in all cells, it will also be expressed in the cells inside the eyes, causing extreme discomfort for the animal when put under a blacklight.

And I agree with the other ones, do not get a blacklight, but just enjoy your pet without stressing him out. Get a glowstick if you want to see something glow. :D

it will also be expressed in the cells inside the eyes, causing extreme discomfort for the animal when put under a blacklight.

Yes. This is readily observable too. The inside of their eyes glows bright green (in the visible spectrum, obviously, otherwise how could we possibly see any glow).

Wow okay... I definitely wasn't going to have a UV light constantly going, just on once in a while... I guess I was just thinking it would be really awesome. If it is really bad for them, I will probably just get a normal axie, but would exposing them for maybe a minute every few days to a low intensity light be okay? I totally don't want to stress it out, but I dunno... what do you think? Also, if so, what kind of blacklight would be good?

PS -I know axolotls are easily stressed, but aren't glofish (Same GFP protein I think) exposed to UV lights 24/7 with no obvious stress?

I totally haven't done a massive amount of research on this, I'd just like to throw it out there

From my understanding, constant supply of UV lights is stressful on glofish. Regardless, axolotls are not glofish so it is important that we recognise this. Certain things may affect axolotls much more differently to that of other species such as fish. Personally I would not get a blacklight at all. I don't see the appeal of exposing an axolotl to a stressful UV light purely for the enjoyment of seeing it glow.

Exposing an axolotl to a blacklight is stressful regardless of the time exposed to the blacklight. However the longer the exposure and the more frequent the exposure, the more stressed the axolotl would become. If you have your mind set on a GFP axolotl and seeing it glow, I would minimise use of the blacklight to once in a blue moon and only for a short time. I can't recommend what blacklight would be best though. I have never bought one myself.

Wow okay... I definitely wasn't going to have a UV light constantly going, just on once in a while... I guess I was just thinking it would be really awesome. If it is really bad for them, I will probably just get a normal axie, but would exposing them for maybe a minute every few days to a low intensity light be okay? I totally don't want to stress it out, but I dunno... what do you think? Also, if so, what kind of blacklight would be good?

PS -I know axolotls are easily stressed, but aren't glofish (Same GFP protein I think) exposed to UV lights 24/7 with no obvious stress?

I totally haven't done a massive amount of research on this, I'd just like to throw it out there

in my opinion, a few minutes of UV light here and there is not going to harm them
others have differing opinions but there is no sure evidence one way or the other, Ive personally never heard of an Axolotl being harmed from exposure to a novelty UV light for just a few minutes

I also do not believe that this green fluorescence you see in their eyes is even visible to them, its extremely low intensity and wouldn't be any brighter than UV reactive paint under a UV light, virtually nil (I have no direct evidence to support this so take it as opinion and not fact)

There just hasnt been enough research into the affects of UV light on axolotls or glofish for us to really have any basis for factual recommendations, its all going to be opinion and anecdotal (in my opinion, lol)

I understand where everyone is coming from, why expose it to stress if its not needed?
honestly, and in my opinion, a UV light is much less intense than a small full spectrum aquarium light, which are used on axolotl tanks all the time and do not stress out the lotl
UV lights put out much less light than a single T5 full spectrum or even warm temp lights
Not all axolotls react to light in the same way
I have 4 axolotls and none of them seem affected in any way by the fluorescent lights above their tanks
Ive exposed them all to low light, medium light with fluorescent and to high intensity light with 10W LEDs and the only time they freak out or seem stressed is when i bang the tank, the light has virtually no impact on them

this is all anecdotal and in my own experience so take it as opinion and not fact again

You just want it so that you can see it every once and a while, right? I went to petco the other day and bought myself a blacklight keychain for somewhere around $6. I'm using mine to find where the stupid stray cat has been peeing in the house I'm staying at here and there. I think doing it just a little bit every now and then is probably ok, so that would be a good solution for you I think.

Hey there! I've done a lot of experimenting with black lights and GFP axolotls, and so far this is what I've noticed in terms of axolotl behavior:

- When using a REAL blacklight, the axolotls seem immediately stressed. They swim all over the tank looking for a hiding place, and do not seem to appreciate the weird way black lights effect your eyes at all.

- However, when using an LED light that has a blue setting, I find that they glow fairly nicely and do not seem bothered by the light any more than normal sunlight. Obviously your mileage may vary because each axolotl is different, but it seems fairly consistent throughout all of my GFPs that I've raised/own.

Here is the type of tank light I use that doesn't seem to bother them: Amazon.com: Marineland Single Bright LED Lighting System 36-48-Inch: Pet Supplies It has a normal light setting and then a "night" setting, which obviously is what makes them glow.

And if you have any other questions just ask. :) I usually turn on the blue setting on my tank light for about an hour a day, and the axolotls don't seem to mind at all. :)

and in my opinion, a UV light is much less intense than a small full spectrum aquarium light, which are used on axolotl tanks all the time and do not stress out the lotl
UV lights put out much less light than a single T5 full spectrum or even warm temp lights
Not all axolotls react to light in the same way

You realize that light intensity is dependent on amplitude and not spectrum right?

Ive exposed them all to low light, medium light with fluorescent and to high intensity light with 10W LEDs and the only time they freak out or seem stressed is when i bang the tank, the light has virtually no impact on them
It's interesting you described it as "virtually no impact on them". Axolotl stress behavior is not exclusive to them bolting around the tank.

in my opinion, a few minutes of UV light here and there is not going to harm them
"what evidence do you have to back this up?"
Oh wait, that only works when you want to dismiss evidence...surely your unevidenced assertions of opinion are totally valid.

Ive personally never heard of an Axolotl being harmed from exposure to a novelty UV light for just a few minutes
So naturally as a skeptic and someone who cares deeply about evidence you are just going to asume that this means there aren´t any harmful effects at all. By the way, what are we considering harm here? Does the animal have to die from terrible skin tumours for UV exposure to count as harm?
I also do not believe that this green fluorescence you see in their eyes is even visible to them, its extremely low intensity and wouldn't be any brighter than UV reactive paint under a UV light, virtually nil (I have no direct evidence to support this so take it as opinion and not fact)
Demonstrably false. They do see it, which is why they REACT to it. Also, even if it is low intensity..it is INSIDE their fricking retinas! Their entire eye-ball is lit up. If you had UV reactive paint coating your retina and you were exposed to UV light...you´d notice....

There just hasnt been enough research into the affects of UV light on axolotls or glofish for us to really have any basis for factual recommendations, its all going to be opinion and anecdotal (in my opinion, lol)
Nothing wrong with anecdotal evidence when you have direct, repeated observations of stress responses in GFP axolotls reacting to UV light exposure.

I understand where everyone is coming from, why expose it to stress if its not needed?
honestly, and in my opinion, a UV light is much less intense than a small full spectrum aquarium light, which are used on axolotl tanks all the time and do not stress out the lotl
Yes, this happens A LOT and i disagree that this doesn´t stress the animals or has any harmful effects.

But they put out MORE UV light....which has very different and much more harmful effects than light in the visible spectrum.

I´m willing to take your statements and experience as anecdotal evidence, but you are the one who came in demanding scientific literature for basic observations. Now you are all about "this is my opinion", "this is my own experience"...but that was a huge problem for you in your first post apparently...

The observations stand. GFP axolotl´s eyes lit up. GFP axolotls frequently react badly to UV exposure just like they frequently do to strong visible light. UV light causes tissue and genetic damage. Leucistic and albino individuals have MUCH less protection against UV radiation. All of those observations and statements are factual and stand by themselves. If the conclussion you want to take from them is "i´m going to deny that there could be anything wrong about exposing animals to UV light unless you provide me with scientific papers"...that´s your failure....
Bare in mind that i´m not saying that exposing GFP axolotl to UV light is going to make them explode or cause them untold missery and pain. I´m saying there are more than enough reasons to say that not only is it not beneficial, it is at the very least potentially detrimental (and demonstrably so in some cases). That´s all i need to judge that activity as unethical.

I´m sorry if i seem overly snarky, but i´m really peeved about this kind of "show me a scientific paper that shows that my axolotl is going to DIE if i use a UV light for 5 minutes or else i´m going to keep doing it" thing.

Last edited:
Ok, I've read all the post on here and I got to say a lot of you guys have provide some middle ground and good suggestions, while other of you have been real snarky jerks.

OP come and asked about black lights. Most posters came back with black lights are bad. One person had the guts to ask for proof (other than mass opinion) of this. All he got in response to this was fairly snaky answers, a lot of judgement, someone trying to shift the burdin of proof, and very few even semi-factual answers.

In fact the only one to even provide solid proof that Axolotls could see UV light at all was the one asking for proof that it was harmful.

I really appersate all of you that came and posted in helpful ways, even if you disagree with black lights. But there are some of you who owe other apologies for your remarks and/or judgmental comments.

IMO I saw no really evidence for or against black light. Do axolotls get agitated when a light they can see comes on? Yes. Does that mean that black lights are harmful? No. It just means they don't like light. Go figure, they live at the bottoms of lakes. lol

For those of you that are worried about the stress that is caused by these lights... I got to ask how do you know?
I get that some axolotls get upset when the UV light comes on but does it do the same thing when you turn on other lights.
Does the axolotl calm down after the initial stress of going from no light to light?

And lastly for those who are all about no stress.. hypicrates. Don't worry, so am I. We all are. We have taken these animals out of there natural environment and jammed them in to a cage that is not even a tenth of it's natural habitat. Deprive it of it's natural verity of food, experiences and active that it would normally have on a day to day basis. On top of this it has to deal with the actions, and noise, and light, we create on a daily basis too. And all of this for our own selfish want to look at these beautiful animals on a daily basis. I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad here cause I'm doing the same thing. I'm just trying to draw the bigger picture here so that the next time some one wants to use a black light (again there is no proof this physically hurts them) for a couple minutes a day so show off how cool it is that their axolotl glows maybe we won't jump all over his butt about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back