Babies aren't surviving.

Sylerwin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully someone can shed some light on what is wrong here. I started with 74 babies and I'm down to 6.
After hatching, I moved them to small tubs the size of a slice of bread (sandwich tupperware)
I had approx 7 per tub.
I did 100% water changes with dechlorinated water aged 1 day. I used Prime.
I was feeding baby daphnia.
After I noticed some were dying off, I switched to Seachem Neutral Regulator thinking my pH was too high (it's typically 7.6).
They were still dying even with the pH back to 7.
After assuming the chemicals were what was killing them, I switched to 100% spring water.
I also tried feeding baby brine shrimp and microworms.
Feed 1-2 times daily. I thought some were starving, because the dead ones were very skinny. I never saw some even attempt to eat.
Though I started seeing some dead with full bellies.
Temp in the room is approx 62F.

No idea why they keep dying. I'm down to 1/tub as I only have 6 now. Thoughts? Another local person thought it was just the water in our area, as she had the same issue. But wouldn't that have changed once I switched to spring water?

Saddened and frustrated I lost them.
Ideas?
Thanks.

Were you wiping the tubs daily ? The bacterial build up from the dead brine shrimp can cause mortality problems

Were you wiping the tubs daily ? The bacterial build up from the dead brine shrimp can cause mortality problems

Yes, every day when I do water changes I clean the tub first. Just rinse under tap water and wipe with my hands.

Did you check for ammonia or nitrite levels in the tubs where the deaths happened? Using very small volumes of water increases the chances of ammonia spiking.

Sorry for your losses and troubles. I understand how frustrating that is! I've always used Prime with great success, the issues I have had are water conditions out of my control, and letting food sit to long and foul the water. Either way, it sucks, I hope you can figure it out. Not sure how old yours are. Some larvae just arent healthy, and eventually it catches up to them. Best of Luck:happy:

Is there a chance you are dosing the water with dechlorinator and then aging it a day? If that is the order you are doing so. Could it be perhaps that the water is no longer good? I was under the impression that the dechlorinators/prime keeps water safe for 24 hours so after aging a day this could bring water parameters to a potentially dangerous level.

I was under the impression that the dechlorinators/prime keeps water safe for 24 hours so
Where did yo get that from? Dechlorination is a permanent process..

The deaths may be due to genetics if you have ruled out water issues and contamination, and food was not a problem. It's sad, but unfortunately one of the issues when breeding and raising axies.

Thanks all for the input. I lost the remaining few a few weeks ago, and can't think of what I did wrong, so I'm assuming it was genetics and they were just too weak. Maybe I'll try again if my axies mate again.

Sorry to hear that. So frustrating sometimes. Probably not if they mate again, but when!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back