Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hatchery Addition

fraustdemon

Reaction score
My axolotls gifted me with almost 600 eggs about a week and a half ago. So in the spirit of propogating this wonderful species I've decided to add on to the 6ft long 125 gallon tank they currently reside in.

I'll be mounting four hatchery troughs above the main tank, with a water pump to flush the hatchery troughs twice a day with fresh filtered tank water that will train via overflow pipes back into the main tank.

Its a race against time, with a full load at work and being in the process of unpacking after moving.

Current progress:

Fitting out the drainage pipes.
pos6AxW.jpg

Drainage Pipes Installed:
QiqRVet.jpg

Stabilized the troughs with some 1x2 lumber and screws (screws will be completely sealed in silicone)
QX19GHd.jpg

Cut some rubber gaskets for the screw in overflow pipe. Will have a sponge filter guard on it to keep the little ones from being flushed out.
255gycW.jpg

Now to make the stand and fit out the pipes for water return. Will also run a bead of silicone around the inside of each endcap of the troughs as another line of leak defense.

auntiejude

Reaction score
You really want to raise 600 axies? I'd suggest a cull down to 100 or so, and some rapid research into what you will do with them in the long run.

As far as your planned hatchery goes it looks OK, but you need to be aware that tiny larvae may escape into the main tank and will get eaten, they don't like flowing water so your plans to flush the system will have to be very carefully executed.

And what are you going to do about uneaten food? You'll need some kind of filter to removed the uneaten BBS.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if 600 axolotls is a blessing or a curse, but I like the design. I have been thinking about a similar, much larger set up to grow watercress as a vegetable filter for my koi pool.

fraustdemon

Reaction score
You really want to raise 600 axies? I'd suggest a cull down to 100 or so, and some rapid research into what you will do with them in the long run.

As far as your planned hatchery goes it looks OK, but you need to be aware that tiny larvae may escape into the main tank and will get eaten, they don't like flowing water so your plans to flush the system will have to be very carefully executed.

And what are you going to do about uneaten food? You'll need some kind of filter to removed the uneaten BBS.

This is in no way a finished project. I'll be posting more pictures later of progress.

So the plan is to feed water to the troughs from the main tank via return pump. this will flush out the old water and debris without me having to manually change the water. The drain pipes will have sponge/filter floss to keep the little ones from being flushed into the main tank. should have enough surface area to keep them from being trapped against it in the current as well. The return pump will be on a timer set to turn on a couple times a day. The water will be regulated with valves so that the current isnt too much, but strong enough to stir up the water for the drains to do their work.

As far as raising 600, I've done large batches of hatchlings before, just never quite this large. Last year I raised a batch in a kiddie pool with a power filter after the bbs stage. This time around i've moved to an apartment, so space is at a premium and i want the water change system completely automated start to finish.

fraustdemon

Reaction score
And an update:

Stand built:
0SOaFMT.jpg

Stand on tank:
vJrp3A3.jpg

Trough assembly mounted on stand on tank:
n2tPq8n.jpg

I still need to run my drain pipe down below the lip of the main tank, silicone seal some stuff, add some anti slide (silicone along supports for traction), and build out the return line assembly.

fraustdemon

Reaction score
I don't know if 600 axolotls is a blessing or a curse, but I like the design. I have been thinking about a similar, much larger set up to grow watercress as a vegetable filter for my koi pool.

HA! Yeah, its a lot of eggs. I was floored when I broke 500 on my count as i was removing them from just about every surface in the tank.

I looked into hydroponic flood tables, but they were just too big, or too short. I found these vinyl rain gutters to be perfect though. It didnt hurt that they were a bit cheaper than the hydroponic troughs i was looking at and i could pick them up at the hardware store.

fraustdemon

Reaction score
Another night and more progress. New Emperor 400 came in, so i'm good on filtration once that seeds and gets rolling. Did a wet test to see everything in action, gaskets didnt seal well, so i'm going to scrap those and silicone seal it all. Need to level it out some, one corner sits a little lower than the others, so the water gets close to overflowing the trough over there. Overall very pleased with the setup.

Pictures!

32EKcqb.jpg

CRv9C0l.jpg

LPyYwM4.jpg

Ariel

Reaction score
Good luck! I love your creative engineering! Please give us a video of it in action once they have hatched! It's very exciting.

fraustdemon

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I'll have to get a video together soon.

Unfortunately it appears that the vast majority of the eggs didnt make it. I think a lot were unfertilized and possible temperature shifts did in the others. Only have a total of 4 hatched out.

Its a bit disheartening, but on the upside I did get a system built and ready for the next batch whenever that happens. In the meantime i have some juveniles from my last batch that are enjoying the hatchery system.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!