Something Awful

NevermoreRoses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Hayleigh
Hi everyone,
I just accidentally found a video on YouTube of some people COOKING and EATING a gorgeous Axolotl.
It was just so horrible and it has upset me so much that I just needed to post about it, and I know people on here will understand how I'm feeling.
I just feel like crying. :'(

I think if they were bred in captivity (not afecting wild populations) and was killed with te less pain is fine. we eat pork, cows, chicken, they are animals too.

I think that video has been posted here before.

Sounds disgusting to me, but there are places all over the world where all kinds of animals are considered delicacies. There are also people that keep... say chickens as pets, and we eat those. If someone wants to eat the Axolotl they bought/bred, that's their prerogative... Still sounds gross to me, but oooookay.

I happen to think eating any amphibian is gross, but we eat what other people consider pets all the time (don't think theres a burger king in india). Although their are some exceptions I keep fish and enjoy sushi when i can afford it but i don't think i could eat one of my own. I also keep snakes,turtles, dogs and a cat but i couldn't eat any of them, but in other places they are a delicacy and alot of what we consider pets are what they consider nothing more than useless food animals.

I have a friend who has eaten pets after they passed away naturally, but I don't think I could ever do it.

I too would be very upset to see someone eating an axolotl. I know that they traditionally were part of the diet of the people who lived around there, but I am overly-empathetic towards animals.

(Plus I'm vegetarian...although for totally different reasons!)

Its not the fact that axolotls are pets to people and yet they get eaten is not what disturbs me. What disturbs me is that someone would actually eat a axolotl! They sound so gross to eat! All wet and slimy and soft and....Yuck!

i agree it seems disgusting but i'm sure theres alot of things that people eat that would make the axolotl look like prime rib. Could i (or anybody else on this forum) do it? Nope not at all. Can i see other people doing it on a regular basis and think its normal? You betcha. Who are we to judge what is normal? I'm sure most people here would think i have an out of the ordinary appearence. Life in some places is like real life fear factor or survivor year round. End rant :)

I wasn't judging what's normal, I was just saying that it seems gross to me, than again, I eat dandelions :eek:

Could i (or anybody else on this forum) do it? Nope not at all

I don't know about that......there was this guy who had a joke about how he eats axolotls, he has an account on here....maybe it wasn't a joke...?.......

Last edited:
DUN DUN DUUUUUN, lol
To be honest I don't think we should make much of a deal about this, if a guy wants to eat an axolotl, let him eat it, at the end of the day, he knows he is destroying a species, captive bred or not. :0
Oh and Seth, you eat dandelions?! :confused:

Yah, they taste bitter, yet are rather good. Plus very nutritious! Lots of vitamins. And yah, I know, its weird :wacko: The leaves are the best.

maybe we think it's gross because we see a little bit of our beloved pets in the animals being eaten? Thats what i hope it is, but with shows like my strange addiction being so popular, i feel it's because we see something out of the ordinary for us and almost instinctively need to have an emotion for it.

Yah, they taste bitter, yet are rather good. Plus very nutritious! Lots of vitamins. And yah, I know, its weird :wacko: The leaves are the best.

And suddenly I have a need to try a dandelion

Not a fan of the dandelion greens you can buy in a market, but the small leaves picked early in the spring are nice added to a mixed salad.

Dandelion salads need to be met with a lot of vinegar for me to like them. Very healthy for you, but very bitter.

And hey, people eat frog legs all the time.

Personally, I like gator tail. (yes, I know it is a reptile, not an amphibian)

never had frog legs I have had snake before and just about any mammal in the continental united states. I don't mean to pass judgement on what anybody eats and to the op I would like to apologize if you think I'm being harsh.

And suddenly I have a need to try a dandelion

Their best with some pesticides and fertilizers sprinkled on top ;)

Dandelion salads need to be met with a lot of vinegar for me to like them. Very healthy for you, but very bitter.

And hey, people eat frog legs all the time.

Personally, I like gator tail. (yes, I know it is a reptile, not an amphibian)

Vinegar? Doesn't that just make them even more bitter? Sugar would be more like what I like on them :rolleyes: No, I usually just eat them plain. The stems of the flowers are almost unbearable though. The flowers themselves aren't that good. But the leaves! Oh the leaves are the best! Best part. :D

I can't get over the fact that we have somehow changed the topic from people eating axies, to, wait for it....
Dandelions....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back