Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What age does "cannibalism" stop?

robopetz

Reaction score
I have a 5" and a 6" that I would like to house together. I kept the smaller one separate because when I got him from the pet store the poor fellow was missing a whole leg and half a leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JamieOleBoy

Reaction score
I don't think it's essentially an age that they stop. I have read (and am under the impression) that axies are opportunistic hunters so if it moves and fits in their mouth plus are hungry they will eat/bite. I don't want to lead you into the wrong direction so it would be a good idea to confirm this info once a more experienced member pops in. I just wanted to get the thread started with a reply. If I was not on mobile I would post a source. I hope this helps.

xxianxx

Reaction score
Axolotls get less nippy from about 6", they will eat smaller axolotls throughout their life so they never stop being cannibals. You may get some posts arguing about the use of the word " cannibal " but its all semantics, bigger axolotls eat smaller ones end of story . The one inch size difference between your guys may not cause any problems if they remain well fed.

robopetz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Before I got them I did tons of research and remember reading somewhere that they stop at a certain age but forget where I read that but it makes sense on what y'all are saying. I'm just nervous to out them together and risk the smaller one losing yet another limb. They are very well fed. The bigger one is fat! Lol and the smaller one too.

auntiejude

Reaction score
I think in a previous discussion we concluded that the 'cannibalistic phase' was a bit of a misnomer, if not a myth, and that axies will snap at each other at any age. Big axies will (and do) eat smaller axies, but they do not deliberately prey on other axies as a preference.

Axies are hungry while they are growing and this, along with flimsy new limbs, overcrowding and proximity of other axies all adds up to axies nipping each other.

Well fed axies with plenty of space are less likely to nip or get injured.

kjnorman

Reaction score
If you do put them together, make sure there is enough space and lots of hides, plants, etc. If each one has plenty of areas to hang out, they are less likely to nip at each other then they would be if they were both hiding in the same cave.

robopetz

Reaction score
Thanks again, good info here. I plan on getting a bigger tank so I can put then together. I figured I'd ask before purchasing a bigger tank.

They are trained with eating already. They know when is feeding time, they know what to feed on and they know when I'm bearing the tank. It's cute to see. So being they at trained like that it makes me feel confident they won't look to "others" to feed on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1