Larvae stressed after being moved?

kjnorman

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I just recently divided up my 20 larvae (~3 1/2 wks old) so that the bigger ones are in a different, slightly larger, tank than the smaller ones, and the bigger ones don't seem to be very happy about it.

Both tanks have lots of greenery to hide in, and I use the same water for both and do partial water changes after every feeding (2 or 3 times a day). I even had an experimental guppy in the new tank for about 6 hrs before moving them over to make sure the water condition was good (removed before I put the larvae in), and the guppy was perfectly fine.

A couple of the larvae were acting weird right after I put them in, swimming in circles and wiggling a lot, and now a couple of them are hanging around with their tails crooked almost 90 degrees to the side, just generally looking unhappy.

They are being fed a mix of BBS and size-appropriate white worms, which is also what they were eating before I moved them (both groups eat the same thing), but they seem less interested in eating now than they did before moving them, and less active as well. (Although they seem to have food in their bellies, and the food is always gone when i get up in the morning.)

They've been in there about 2 days now.

Could they just be stressed out from the move?
Or maybe it has nothing to do with anything and I just a few defective larvae?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Some axies just don't survive.

It's probably nothing you have done. I find that the first 4 weeks is when axies die if they are going to, those make it through the first month are usually OK.

I'm thinking that you are right. One has died, and three more are looking like they may not be long for this world, but all the others seem to be doing fine.

I guess it was inevitable that I would lose some of them. Still sad though :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back