Wildtype aggression

speckles

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an axolotl, and my in laws have one. I have heard of wild type aggression with other axolotls. I was wondering if it was true,are wildtypes more aggressive? Will my axolotl always be alone because of his aggression?

Wildtypes are no more agressive than other axies in my experience, but individuals are all different.

My albino female is the most agressive when it comes to food, my wildtype female will push the others out for space in her favourite spot.

I sometimes wonder if age is a more important factor than type. I have an older WT and a Golden Albino, and a younger WT and Leucy. The younger two are both nippy but then they are probably a few months younger than the older two, who are now just over a year old.

I think as they mature they get more used to having lots of lotl bodies around and quit nipping so much as they learn to distinguish between a worm and a tail! That said, true aggression, as in, nipping for no reason, I would say can happen to any type. I once saw my WT female nip three times at my Leucy because he was getting fed - but he whipped around and nipped her back, and she's never bitten him since.

Thank you both for your answers certainly gave me something to think about. If I should ever mix the two together in the same tank, I will have to make sure they are big enough and so is the tank. Right now they are both in separate 10 gallons. How will two effect the water chemistry? What size tank is best to avoid aggression. I know for two, a 20 gallon long is the smallest you can go.

the only time I ve ever had one axolotl nip at another is when they hadnt been fed and were hungry, or in the process of feeding
I have 3 juveniles and 1 adult
The adult lives bu himself and the 3 juvies together
All 3 juveniles were missing their back legs from being nipped before i got them
2 of them almost never seem to nip at the other, but the other one will nip at the other 2 when it comes close to feeding time
Ive noticed that the hungrier they are the likely they are to nip at anything that could be considered food
when i keep them well fed and feed them in separate areas of the tank (i can lure them with bits of worms til they swim where i want them, hehe) they are very well behaved, heh

the only time I ve ever had one axolotl nip at another is when they hadnt been fed and were hungry, or in the process of feeding
I have 3 juveniles and 1 adult
The adult lives bu himself and the 3 juvies together
All 3 juveniles were missing their back legs from being nipped before i got them
2 of them almost never seem to nip at the other, but the other one will nip at the other 2 when it comes close to feeding time
Ive noticed that the hungrier they are the likely they are to nip at anything that could be considered food
when i keep them well fed and feed them in separate areas of the tank (i can lure them with bits of worms til they swim where i want them, hehe) they are very well behaved, heh

How big are the smaller three? Do you find them growing at different rates affecting their nipping at each other? I worry because stevie the wildtype is growing faster than spike,the,melanoid and i worry if there continues to be such a size difference, stevie will nip at spike.

How big are the smaller three? Do you find them growing at different rates affecting their nipping at each other? I worry because stevie the wildtype is growing faster than spike,the,melanoid and i worry if there continues to be such a size difference, stevie will nip at spike.

it is possible and ive heard others say that it has happened when one is larger than the other
the 3 juveniles aremostly the same size but one is at least an inch longer and much larger (probably a month or more older too) and it gets bullied by one of the smaller ones at feeding time
Its really more about the individual axolotl's temperament and their hunger level I think but Ive only raised these 4 axolotls now

To be honest, I found two lotls didn't overly affect the water chemistry as long as the cycle was well established and all visible poops were turkey bastered/syphoned up.

Putting axolotls together seems to be very much a 'try it and see' thing - some axolotls have a few introductory nips and never do it again, others might be great together until years down the line, some might be absolutely impeccably behaved - it all seems to depend on the individual mix. I would always say 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst' and have a spare tank in case you do have a bona fide bully who seems to get his kicks from nipping constantly (although true axolotl bullies don't seem all that common).

Mine do get nippier in the morning as that's their feeding time, and, like mackinthebox, I try to lure mine away from each other - but the two juvies are a bit of a package deal and won't separate until the worm is well and truly in their mouths! I feed them daily to prevent hunger-nipping, and they don't seem so prone to it after their meals.

20 gallons or a 2ft tank is sort of considered the guideline, but then I have seen others who keep them in smaller and larger tanks. I have four in a 4ft. I personally like them to have plenty of floor space so I go off the foot measurement rather than the gallons - I once had a 2.5ft that seemed too small for my babies once it had ornaments in it so I updated to a 4ft (only to then get two more lotls >.<) My four foot, is, technically, 27 UK Gallons/32 US, which sounds far too tiny. But there's lots of room for them all - it's just less water and more floor space.

Good luck! I know it's nerve-wracking but keeping lotls together is very much an experimental thing. Lots of people do it without issue, but keeping an eye on them is also advised.

I have a leucistic and a wild type that are both about 16 cm. The only time they try to nip each other is sometimes during feeding. And even then it's usually the leucistic doing all the nipping. As long as they have enough space and hides and the size difference isn't too big, I think everything should be ok.

Feeding is definitely the riskiest time. I have four so they often bump into each other in their rush for their breakfast! My juvies are super-aware of everything I do and get excited as soon as they hear me remove the glass I put the worms in from the side, then they're on red alert waiting for the worm to appear!

Usually there's a nip or two but no major dramas. They all eventually get their brekkie anyway.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back