Do axolotls get lonely

Irenea

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Our axolotl Lena is in a room which is used as games/office and is only used for. Few hours per day. Apart from that she is pretty much on her own. Is this cruel? Should we move her tank to our living room so she has more 'stimulation'? I would really welcome a response. We have only had her for a few weeks but have just fallen in love with that wee face.

Axies are not supposed to care whether they have tank mates or human interaction.
They will always be pleased to see you because you feed them.
It is not cruel to keep an axie on it's own in a quit room, but I personally don't see the point of a pet who lives separately - pets are for interacting with.

I would agree with auntiejude, however I think its better that she is in a room that gets /some/ interaction per day but is not a busy area. I just am thinking about lights on/off often and the constant vibration of walking and the shadows from people moving around the tank is uneccesary.

Mine are in my bedroom, i am in there to sleep and to interact with them a bit each day, but other then me and my boyfriend and the occasional guest to come look at them this is all the get. Mind you they get maybe 30minutes per day of undivided attention from one of us though texas seems like the only one that could care.. Lol!

They don't get lonely in any way; there's nothing cruel about leaving them alone. As long as you're feeding it and taking good care of it there's nothing wrong with that.

Until today, mine was in the bathroom. I'll let you imagine how much interaction he got every day.

To be honest, I find axolotls don't like to be fussed overmuch. My four are in my bedroom and have each other to climb on - they are fed once a day and the fan is left on for them. If I go out, I go out. If I don't, I say hello to them when I go upstairs. They do seem to like a little face-time now and again, but they're not like dogs and don't seem overly bothered if they're not given attention all the time.

My older ones sort of do their own thing - my younger ones will follow me around the room. But either way, I don't think they like too much going on around them. They are very chillaxed wee things.

Irena,
Axolotls are actually one of the only animals I have ever know who actually don't need any type of physical or mental stimulation. They seem to actually prefer solitude from people and have been known to hide constantly from their human handlers unless the environment they live in is much more sheltered but still visible. I work for a zoo, and we have plenty of axolotls (and as I am sure you can imagine we are USDA certified which comes with many manuals on how animals should be raised) we use them for show and tell classes and mostly as the children walk in rooms. Even with bare bottom tanks and little walk thru stimulation they are healthy eaters, swimmers and simply seem to enjoy the food more then us.
BUT all that said,
who wouldn't want to look at these guys all the time??? My Big Girl is in my kitchen, and I see her every day. I just love the shock on peoples face when they walk in and go oh what a nice big tank... OH MY WHAT IS THAT!!!
Its always great to share our buddies with the unknowing!
So happy you chose an Axolotl, hope that it brightens up that office to have such a fun little mascot!

I agree with everything discussed here .
Of course , it depends on the personality of the Axolotl but they do not require any sort of special attention .
Just feed them often and allow them to see the light of day .. Say hello , wiggle your fingers around the tank and watch them follow them . They're great to watch and play with !
But yes , they don't require any sort of special attention .

Another point: if you are interacting with them at least once a day, you'll be faster to spot potential problems, have a better sense of how they are eating, etc., and catch eggs early.

I don't know either way but in my experience I spent a lot of time in one particular room where Howie is, he was very photogenic, highly playful and always came out and hung around staring out the glass at those around him, then things changed, I haven't been spending time in said room because we've been doing major house renovation, now he's lazy, shy's away from the camera, hides in his caves, won't eat his worms with the light on espesh if I'm watching, doesn't play anymore, I noticed it about 3 days after things changed, he is genuinely butt hurt and I tend to wonder if he's because he has gotten less human interaction as of late, a friend of mine said her axolotl began acting the same way when she started spending time away from the room the tank is in as well so really, just maybe it all depends on the axolotl and what kind of interaction you have with your pet. We really don't know what they think or feel anyways so anything is possible.

P.S. I have two other axolotls in the same room but in a different tank and they seem like they could care less whether I'm there or not.

I've noticed this, that the more time I spend "playing with" or near the tank, the more attention he pays to me, but when I spend less time interacting with him, the less "aware" (or most likely, the less he cares) that I am in the room.

I don't know if that means he enjoys me though, it could mean any number of things.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back