Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is the proper way to house kweichow crocodile newts

greenwood09

Reaction score
I need some help. I need advice on how to properly house my Kweichow newt. I currently have a terrestrial set up (20 gal. long tank)with several hides and two shallow water dishes the substrate is moss. Is this suitable or should I setup a 50/50 terrarium or something else? Any advice would be appreciated.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
50/50 is fine as long as they have some land. Stacked cork bark is good. They like the water a lot.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A 50/50 tank is ideal, but difficult to engineer well. (For example, if you put a solid divider in a 20-long tank, the resulting water area is likely to be less than 5 gallons; it's not easy to have a really good water area and a really good land area.)

I have some kweichows that I keep fully terrestrially and they are fine that way. The ones I have in a 50/50 setup stay mostly on land. Only one of them stays mostly in water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!