Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Oh no!!

Hanna09

Reaction score
My tiny baby (only about 4 inches) hopped right out of its tank! I got the little guy back in, and I'm seeing movement, as a matter of fact when he hit the water he did a nice lap around the tank! I do not know how long he was out for, I was in the other room for a good hour and a half, when I heard one of my cats crying in my bathroom, which the tank is next to the doorway of, I went over and at first glance I though he was a kitty turd! this particular cat is infamous for pooing outside of the box! I then realized it was my little axie! I'm so worried, has anyone else ever had a similar situation? Did your little guy make it? I really hope my little guy pulls through! :(

Kaini

Reaction score
He'll hopefully be okay - just make sure your water parameters are perfect (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate) and that the rest of your husbandry is good (temps below 70 F etc) and he should recover. Axies are notoriously good healers and if he wasn't out too long he'll probably just shed his slime coat and be okay. But while this is happening he's going to be susceptible to other illnesses so again, make sure your husbandry is perfect while he gets better.

And I'd invest in a mesh lid for that tank!

auntiejude

Reaction score
He'll probably be OK, axies bounce back quite easily.

You should look into getting a lid or top of some kind for your tank, if he's jumped out once he may do it again, and if you have a cat it may try and 'investigate' the axie tank.

Hanna09

Reaction score
Kaini, Thank you for the helpful input! all is good in the tank, I think the little guy got to swimming all crazy and popped right out on the side! It is an old turtle tank, so one of the sides is cut out for filter placement, I housed my other axie in there while she grew larger, and never had this happen, I was always super worried about it though! I covered that hole up though, it's not pretty, but the little one won't make it through! I'm so worried, you know you care alot for the little mongrels, but this one is really showing me how much! Thank you so, so much! I will be sure to update in the morning...later in the morning, its 2:30 am here!

Hanna09

Reaction score
He'll probably be OK, axies bounce back quite easily.

You should look into getting a lid or top of some kind for your tank, if he's jumped out once he may do it again, and if you have a cat it may try and 'investigate' the axie tank.

Lid is on, exit is patched! :D Luckily, the cats cannot make it onto the dresser top that the tank is on, in any way! I'm so thankful for all the caring people here, you two are the reason that I came straight here, after getting the little guy back in the tank! Thank you!

Hanna09

Reaction score
I forgot to update this morning! I got too caught up in Netflix! I had a live axie when I woke up, so that was great! He seems okay, not as active as usual, but then, I don't think I would be either! I think we are in good shape :) Again, Thank you all for being here to read my freak out, and answer my questions, It is VERY, VERY appreciated!

kjnorman

Reaction score
Also check out the sick axolotl forum - there are a few threads with people who have had axies jump out of tanks and be out for much longer than your little guy, who seem to have made it with some TLC.

And keep an eye out for fungus for the next little while, being out of the tank is the sort of stress an opportunistic pathogen takes advantage of.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!