Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Help I think my axolotls are sick

Jessolotl

Reaction score
Hi I have two axolotls that I am worried about the first one is Frilly he has gone off his food in the last week, he has been depositing spermatophore around the tank could this be why he is off his food? My other axilotl Milly has over the past month slowly been losing her gills but she is fine in herself. My parameters are ph 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate below 5
Thanks Jess

HayleyK

Reaction score
What's the temperature of the tank?

Some axolotls don't eat for a few days and it's fine if they are a healthy weight, just keep offering food. Does he poop regularly?

If you don't want babies I suggest a divider from your female.

If your parameters are fine she could be losing gills to a hungry tank mate - are there any other tank mates besides your male? It could also be getting caught on filter inlets. Do you have photos?

Jessolotl

Reaction score
Hi Hayley thank you for your reply. the temperature is 20. He is a healthy weight and yes he does poo regularly. i only have the two for them i have never seen him nip her so i don't think he is doing it but i don't know what he gets up to when i'm not watching him. the filter intake is at the very top of the tank so she wouldn't be able to get them stuck in it very easly. her gills look more like they are shrinking rather that just disappearing.

Attachments

• 20140415_185026.jpg
    20140415_185026.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 494
  • 20140415_185612.jpg
    20140415_185612.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 20140415_185621.jpg
    20140415_185621.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 258

HayleyK

Reaction score
That axolotl seems like it's lost a bit a weight :( gill shrinking/disappearing is usually caused by water quality. Try and bring the temperature down and perhaps try to retest the water, I had a dodgy test before (I apparently had zero nitrates, when I actually did).

What do you feed them?

What is your water changing routine like?

Jessolotl

Reaction score
How could i bring the temperature down? Also my test kit is only a few months old and I work in an aquatic shop (just fish) and have taken a sample to work to test it is still testing fine. I do 20% water changes every week and they are fed on Dendrobaena worms sometimes bloodworm as a treat. I also looking at old pictures think she may have lost a little weight :( she does still eat though and is very excited over food.

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
Water bottles filled with ice stuck to float in the tank helps bring the temp down. Most people treat the water in the bottles just in case they leak into the tank. If the temp seems to be a constant issue, you could always pick up a cheap used mini fridge and turn it into an inexpensive chiller. She should have a tummy as wide as her head, just let her eat as much as she wants until she gets there. Earthworms are always good, do you raise them or buy them?

SkollSunChaser

Reaction score
Water bottles filled with ice stuck to float in the tank helps bring the temp down. Most people treat the water in the bottles just in case they leak into the tank. If the temp seems to be a constant issue, you could always pick up a cheap used mini fridge and turn it into an inexpensive chiller. She should have a tummy as wide as her head, just let her eat as much as she wants until she gets there. Earthworms are always good, do you raise them or buy them?

Jessolotl

Reaction score
Ok thank you I was thinking of a chiller before so I have ordered one now :) I was always told to feed as many worms as she will eat every 4 days, but I have been giving her one big worm a day as I didn't like to not give her anything, I have fed her as much as she wants today should i feed her as much as she want everyday? Also I buy my worms online they are reptile safe and I have always had them from the same company.

Skudo09

Reaction score
a chiller was a a great choice :)

A good guide to use ( as Skoll mentioned) is to aim for the axolotls belly to be the same width as the axolotls head. If the belly is smaller then feed more or more often. If the belly is wider than the head drop down the feeding a little.

I would continue feeding daily and feed as much as she wants.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1