Larvae feeding suggestions

kjnorman

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey there folks.

I have 12 leucistic larvae about a month old. They are eating a mix of baby brine shrimp and white worms because that is what I could find. They are getting a bit big for BBS (and I'm running out of eggs), and I'm concerned that white worms aren't nutritious enough.

They have front legs (with tiny little toes!!!!) but no back legs yet.

I'd like to try getting them onto frozen bloodworms soon, and am curious as to how people do this - do you mix them in with live food? Wiggle them around? Just keep offering until they get the idea?

Also, if anyone has suggestions for other mid-sized live food I could try (no access to Daphnia in the area until it gets much warmer), that would be great.

Cheers!

Yes, it helps to mix the new food in with the old food at first. Put some bloodworms in with the whiteworms. Axolotls are good eaters, they'll get the idea. You might also want to source some good quality, small pellets and do likewise with those.

I mixed live bloodworms with frozen to start with - it doesn't take them long to catch on, then you can switch to just frozen.

Once they get their back legs and are about 2" you can try them with baby earthworms - so funny to watch!

Okay, thanks! I will look for pellets and live bloodworms.

I have a worm composter in the basement, so I should be able to dig up some baby earthworms too. I can't wait to try.

I love watching them eat, and skitter around on the bottom with their little front legs. So cute.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back