Noobie question here

SpongerSean

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a gfp lecustic male Axolotl and a wild type female Axolotl. What are the color variations that could possibly come about if they were to breed?:confused:

You could get anything from that pairing.

Unless you have details of previous pairings and their offspring or the parents of your axies you won't be able to tell until any eggs hatch.

No I don't have any information about the parents thanks for the quick reply :D. I guess I have to wait and see if they breed, but if they do decide to get it on and they do have babies could I determine what the grandparent colors were from them?

Not necessarily, but probably partially. You would need to know exactly what all your axies' siblings were as well as all the offspring from that generation to be certain.
The problem is the recessive genes. If a wildype is carrying a recessive gene you won't know until it breeds, and only if you get a recessive gene expressed in the babies.

For instance:
My 2 wildtypes bred. They produced 25% albinos and 75% wildtypes. From that I can conclude that both carry a recessive albino gene. But I can't say for definate what their parents were.

You can cross 2 wildtypes and get literally every standard colour if they are both het for each colour type. You can cross a leucistic with an albino and get all wildtype babies too.

If yours breed you can post the result here and we'll be able to help you with the genetics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back