Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hatchlings getting fungus

jelly

Reaction score
Before hatching in their eggs- and after what appears healthy larvae hatching- they are getting fungus very quickly and dying!
I have been removing any infected eggs I can while they are developing and any after hatch- and now have moved healthy ones to a fresh container as well with fresh water- but still what can I do! I can only think it is a matter of time and they will all get it. I did read somewhere to put them in chlorinated water?? is this worth a try? as I think they are very likely to die otherwise!!!

auntiejude

Reaction score
Indian almond leaves, chlorinated water and salt can all be used for baths for axies.
Full thread on fungus here

Hatchlings should be removed from a hatchery as soon as you see them, and kept in small tubs with 100% daily water changes.

jelly

Reaction score
thanks.. I have been removing them- but the problem is some in the clean containers get fungus then I have to move them again- and so I am thinking I am going to end up doing this a lot and they'll all die in the process any way. I don't have access to any almond leaves... wouldn't know where to get any ?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Indian almond leaves are readily available on ebay. A weak salt solution would be quicker though, maybe a 1/3 or 1/2 of the strength recommended for adults.
Temperature control may also help, you're more likely to get fungus in a warm tub so try cooling it down a bit if you can.

jelly

Reaction score
I have had two batches of eggs from this pair/tank and both have had fungus- first lot all died as I had to go away and couldn't keep separating them. This lot I mentioned above I now have 7ish survivors. in the end after removing all I could that were infected I just added some salt to their water (our water is low in salt and minerals as the water is collect very close to the start of a creek). And left them and couple days after they finished hatching they finished dying! and none have died since. But the axy looks like she will lay again soon- and I am wondering if I should move her out of her tank to lay in a very clean tank or not? their tank has all their parameters excellent etc but obviously has spores and what not in it and warm environment in the house too

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1