Cull?

spud62

Reaction score
Country
England
Yesterday i went to fed my Axies but the female refused to eat and i now know why, woke this morning to a tank full of eggs " please see picture " poor thing looks so stressed, i cant keep any of these eggs as i have no room what so ever, so how do i go about removing them from the tank and how can i stop this from happening again?. I feel bad asking this but the welfare of my two axies as to come first. Thank you

Attachments

• axie.jpg
    axie.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 169
Eggs can be removed by just scraping them off whater they have been laid on. They are attached by a gooey snot-like gel, I find getting a thumbnail in works well.

If you're not intending to raise or sell any eggs you can freeze them before they start to develop - up to day 5 - and it will kill them.

Don't feel guilty about asking - we've all done it with excess eggs, it's normal procedure.

To prevent further breeding you need to separate your axies - they can breed every 3 weeks, and it's not good for the female.

Eggs can be removed by just scraping them off whater they have been laid on. They are attached by a gooey snot-like gel, I find getting a thumbnail in works well.

If you're not intending to raise or sell any eggs you can freeze them before they start to develop - up to day 5 - and it will kill them.

Don't feel guilty about asking - we've all done it with excess eggs, it's normal procedure.

To prevent further breeding you need to separate your axies - they can breed every 3 weeks, and it's not good for the female.

Thank you

Just curious - why isn't it good for the female? I haven't heard or read this before and since I'm getting two juvies and chances are they could be male + female I'd really like to know. (Of course I won't let their eggs hatch if this is the case, since they'd be brother-sister).

Breeding every 3 weeks exhausts a female axie - they tend die young the same as any overbred female animal. Most responsible breeders control breeding so as to avoid this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back