Question: What sex are my axolotls?

Axie2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there
I bought 2 axolotls 1 week ago and would like an idea of what gender they both are. Also, as pictured in the top of the second picture, my axolotl has some sort of white bubbly stuff under his bulge.

Also, this morning I noticed some white clear stuff on the tank floor and is surrounded by jelly but there is only one, could it be mould?
Thank you very much:)

Attachments

• Fotor0411211657.jpg
    Fotor0411211657.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 3,707
  • q.jpg
    q.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 855
Where did you get those axies? They both look sick - both bloated and one might have a prolapse.

Where did you get those axies? They both look sick - both bloated and one might have a prolapse
I don't know about prolapse, but they might look bloated because I think the picture is distorted. It looks like they are compressed.

As for the gender of your axies, I would say they are both males. They both have a big bump.

If the jelly on your tank floor was a clear blob with a stalk and a white end on it, that sounds like a spermatophore. Don't think I have a picture, but I know there is a good picture on http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htmaxolotl.org. It is normal for males to deposit spermatophores around the tank. If the white blob looked more fuzzy, like mold on bread, that sounds more like fungus. Fungus will grow on decaying food or other organics in the aquarium. If you do a good job cleaning up the substrate, you shouldn't have much fungus in an established aquarium.

And I agree, that pic on the upper right looks bad- I would get him checked out by the vet.

I have noticed sometimes that when my males have been putting down spermatophore, their cloaca will 'open' for a little while after. I would keep an eye on it.
This may sound odd, but do the pictures look like your axolotl? Or have they become distorted as Seth suggests.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back