Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is editing pictures cheating?

sde

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yah I know, weird question, but....

.....do you consider editing pictures as 'cheating'? Or do you consider it just part of photography?

Also, I am wondering if it is 'legal' to enter edited photos into the photo contests?

I am kind of torn between the idea of editing or not. When you edit it seems kind of like it takes away from the photographers skill. But it is also very hard to take good quality photos without editing it seems. My biggest problem is color. I don't really think theres anything that i can do about it unless i edit my photos. My photos just seem to come out bland and grey, with no colors. Do you think re-coloring them is 'cheating'?

-Seth

Kaini

Reaction score
Absolutely not, it's not cheating. It takes skill/practice to edit photos just like any other art. Take it from someone in art school - Photoshop editing is something we have an entire class for.

sde

Reaction score
Absolutely not, it's not cheating. It takes skill/practice to edit photos just like any other art. Take it from someone in art school - Photoshop editing is something we have an entire class for.

OK thanks for that Kaini. Makes me feel like editing is more of a art than a cheat. I wonder how many photos that are in the photo competition are edited? And I wonder if John edits his photos, because I LOVE his photos.

Kaini

Reaction score
It doesn't matter if it's edited or not XD If you took the photo, edited the photo, it's all your work. Post production is just another part of photography, go ask the photography majors in my building XD Metaphorically speaking.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Adjusting lighting or colour balance or editing out a big poop in the background is acceptable. Enhancing with airbrushing to change the appearance of the axie significantly isn't.

I adjusted all the photos I entered into last years' comp, just a little to make them appear better - color balance, took out reflections, removed the tail of an axie in the background - but nothing to alter the main subject of the picture. Interestingly, the photo that made the calendar was the least processed!

The general opinion among photographers in the UK is that photoshop is part of the process theses days, but there is a huge difference between enhancement and alteration. And to the trained eye it's obvious when a photo has been overprocessed - and I'm married to an expert on the subject.

sde

Reaction score
I don't know how to take out reflections, but it doesn't really matter because i don't take pictures through glass.

Personally i think that taking the entire tail of an axie that was in the background is a bit much. To me that is correcting mistakes, not correcting that you camera doesn't have good color. But i don't mind if you do it, I just don't want to :happy:

So do you think this is too much of a change? First pic re-colored and re-satirized and re- lighted , second is the original.

sde-albums-amphibian-photography-picture32240-probably-my-favorite.jpg

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have only just discovered I can tweak my photo's, but so far at only a very basic level. This week I found I can 'retouch'....So far this has not gone well as I seem to acquire extra eyes and limbs :/
I would say editing is fine as long as it is not misleading.

Kaini

Reaction score
Seth, I think the edited picture looks really great! Frankly I'm a little mystified you're so concerned about it, we learned that post-editing was a must taking pictures. Again we had a whole class for that, so obviously for us it was never even remotely considered 'cheating' - so I've actually learned something today that some people have that idea.

It's the same with digital art sometimes. People will look at my work and go 'oh, the computer did that for you?'
No, I did it, same as if I used a paintbrush. Drawing in Photoshop rather than on paper is not 'cheating'.

So seriously, don't worry about it :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
I made a calendar for friends and family, and I adjusted some of the photos.
Here's some before and afters.
The first one I have removed the reflection, the second I have tidied up the background a bit. The third is where I have removed a shrimp and replaced it for a fun Xmas card!

Attachments

• pinky bubbles.jpg
    pinky bubbles.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 249
  • pinky retouch.jpg
    pinky retouch.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 239
  • alb 2.jpg
    alb 2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 236
  • alb 3.jpg
    alb 3.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 227
  • freckles vs shrimp final.jpg
    freckles vs shrimp final.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 215
  • freckles suprise!.jpg
    freckles suprise!.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 234
  • freckles xmas.jpg
    freckles xmas.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 217

sde

Reaction score
Seth, I think the edited picture looks really great! Frankly I'm a little mystified you're so concerned about it, we learned that post-editing was a must taking pictures. Again we had a whole class for that, so obviously for us it was never even remotely considered 'cheating' - so I've actually learned something today that some people have that idea.

It's the same with digital art sometimes. People will look at my work and go 'oh, the computer did that for you?'
No, I did it, same as if I used a paintbrush. Drawing in Photoshop rather than on paper is not 'cheating'.

So seriously, don't worry about it :)

Thanks for the compliment :)

OK, so it sounds like editing is basically thought of as part of taking a picture? That makes me feel a lot better about editing. I also looked up some stuff and it seems like all the pros edit their photos in some way.

Well, I have to say, I am quite happy that editing isn't 'cheating' because its really hard to get a good photo with the old camera I have! No color at all, just bland and grey :/

Thanks all for chiming in! -Seth

evut

Reaction score
Don't try to take out reflections, Seth. This is what a polarizer is for and its function cannot be mimicked when you edit. The reflection is natural anyway and sometimes polarization can make things appear weird.
Regarding the use of editing software: It is nice when you take the picture correctly in the first place and don't leave yourself too much work for afterwards, but the software exists, so learn to use it and you will have better photos. It can just mean cropping the photo, straightening it or erasing scratches on aquarium glass but even something like that can make a massive difference. You also need to realize how digital photography works: either you let the camera do the work and it gives you a jpeg (the only option in more basic cameras) or you take take the raw file and do the work on a computer. Either way, the photo will be tweaked somehow.

sde

Reaction score
Don't try to take out reflections, Seth. This is what a polarizer is for and its function cannot be mimicked when you edit. The reflection is natural anyway and sometimes polarization can make things appear weird.
Regarding the use of editing software: It is nice when you take the picture correctly in the first place and don't leave yourself too much work for afterwards, but the software exists, so learn to use it and you will have better photos. It can just mean cropping the photo, straightening it or erasing scratches on aquarium glass but even something like that can make a massive difference. You also need to realize how digital photography works: either you let the camera do the work and it gives you a jpeg (the only option in more basic cameras) or you take take the raw file and do the work on a computer. Either way, the photo will be tweaked somehow.

OK, thanks for the input Evut.

See that's where i get lost, people seem to think that editing out scratches and straightening and such, but i don't know about exposure and color. I just cant get good color on my photos, but besides that i am pleased with everything else. So do you think that editing the exposure and color is too much?

Thanks again everybody for the input! -Seth

auntiejude

Reaction score
It doesn't matter in the long run whether you use a filter on the camera to reduce reflection or edit after the shot - the end result is virtually the same. But not everyone can afford a pro-camera with all the gadgets and attachements and they have to make do with a point-and-shoot compact and Photoshop Elements.

There are 2 different skills, one skill is having an 'eye' for a picture and composing a good shot, the other is editing a shot to make the most of what was photographed.

I completely agree that a better photo is preferable, and reflections can be avoided with the right angle - the 'art' of photography and the technical understanding of composing a good picture - rather than using a filter or editing it out.

If you take a photo that looks washed out or too dark there is no harm in adjusting it - professionals do. Adjusting colour saturation, balance, contrast, brightness, and cropping a picture are all routine and 'acceptable'.

Changing the appearance of an animal to mislead a buyer or inflate a price IS cheating. But enhancing pictures of you pets for your own collection or to show to fellow enthusiast is fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1