Illness/Sickness: Female axolotl stressed after laying eggs

wcaxolotl

Reaction score
Country
United States
She just laid a solid amount of eggs yesterday and I am worried because she bred and she is not full grown yet. She is estimated at 18 months old and about 18 cm (8 in). I'm worried she is too young/small to have given birth. It was not a planned breeding I have a divider between my male and female and I took it out for cleaning. There's not much I can do about her recovery, but will she do better if I keep her away from the male? In a separate tank completely? I'm worried she will start making eggs again and put further stress on her body. Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

-a concerned axolotl lover

She'll grow more eggs inside her regardless of whether she's exposed to the male or not, that's just the way it works. Mine were about the same age when they first bred, and they were fine, so I wouldn't worry about her too much, just keep an eye on her and keep her well fed. Cool and darkness will help as well if she doesn't already have it.

As for the eggs, you'll know they're viable when the dots start changing shape in a couple of days.

Hope that helps.

If she's laid hudreds of eggs they will be fertile, you need to decide what to do with them. If you're not going to raise or sell them you need to freeze them to prevent development.

At 18 months she should be fully grown and a reasoable age to breed, she's not too young. If you don't want to breed again you can remove her for cleaning so she can't access the male's side, that would be cheaper than another tank.

I've never kept axolotls, but I have kept fish for quite a time. Here's my advice.

Laying eggs/Breeding will stress out any animal, regardless of age, size, or species.
So long as she's eating, I think she will be fine. I would still say to put her in a seperate tank, far away from the male.

Thanks, I plan on selling them. I hope someone will take them. I kind of feel bad thinking about freezing them. They've already been out a couple days so I'm probably too late for that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back