Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Nitrite levels...again

Irenea

Reaction score
My tank water readings are Ph 7.6. Ammonia and Nitrate 0. Nitrite between 2 and 5 ppm. I change 20% water each week but have decided to up this to 2x a week to try and lower Nitrite. Could someone please advise if this is the correct thing to do and also although I know Nitrite level high, is it high enough to harm my axi.

We have a filter that aits on side of tank. I have been taking them out and rinsing them. Should I be doing this. Also have a wee brush/sponge type thing on filter in tank. Also rinse it during water changes. Is this the right thing to do.

Thanks in advance for any help.

HayleyK

Reaction score
Nitrite is the most harmful out of the three chemicals.

You need to be doing daily water changes to get it at a livable levels. Once or twice a week is not good enough.

If you are rinsing the filter and the media (sponges) in tap water you are killing your beneficial bacteria and need to stop this immediately. To rinse filters or media do it in tank water I.e during water change clean it in the bucket of water you are disposing. You do not need to do this with every water change. I only do it every couple of water changes or until I notice it looks rather gunky.

HayleyK

Reaction score
And probably more than 20% a day. I would be more inclined to do double.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!