Bacteria?

gradym

Reaction score
Country
United States
I posted the 'blood in water' thread, and while waiting, thought I would ask another question...I read Dr. Clare's information on the health of axolotls, and my concern is that IF this issue has been caused by a bacteria -- how do I determine what I am dealing with? Are there tests that I can easily perform to determine what the problem may be? I do remove some 'slime' from the glass at the water line, and the (plastic) plants have accumulated some, but I thought that was fairly normal -- but is that 'slime' lethal?? Vet confirmed no obstructions...gave her antibiotic, calcium (x-ray indicates some calcium loss in limbs...).

If my female does not make it, I still have a male that at the moment appears very healthy, and I certainly don't want the same thing to happen to him. I have a chiller and maintain the water temp at 65-66 degrees. The water flow is against the glass, and down to the minimum. I have an external Eheim filter; the water absolutely has been 'perfect' as far as ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and pH. When I set up the aquarium, I used the 'fast start' live bacteria, and I clean regularly and weekly partial water changes. Only 'substrate' is slate and large river rock pebbles (way bigger than their heads...), resin logs....nothing else living except 5 fish that have been in there since December (to help cycle the aquarium originally..)

Female hanging in there -- at about 64 degree water right now -- should I keep her chilled? warm her? stop fussing? Please help. Sorry for the long post -- directly proportionate to my concern...:(

The only way that you could determine what bacteria you have would be to send a sample to a lab for culturing. I doubt you would be able to do any tests etc at home.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back