S. salamandra larvae

mjmpt

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hi,
I got some small (4-5cm) salmandra larvae.
At the species page of Caudata Culture, on feeding, it says: Foods such as earthworms and nightcrawlers (though not the red-ringed ones - genera Eisenia and Dendrobaena) are ideal.
What does this mean? Are all species from genera Eisenia and Dendrobaena not good?
Or what are the 'red-ringed ones'?
Need help shorting out this worm question.
Thank you
Regards
João

Hi,
I got some small (4-5cm) salmandra larvae.
At the species page of Caudata Culture, on feeding, it says: Foods such as earthworms and nightcrawlers (though not the red-ringed ones - genera Eisenia and Dendrobaena) are ideal.
What does this mean? Are all species from genera Eisenia and Dendrobaena not good?
Or what are the 'red-ringed ones'?
Need help shorting out this worm question.
Thank you
Regards
João

Yes that is what it means, that Eisenia and Dendrobeana are not good to use as foods.
However I have used, and do still use, Dendrobeana for newt, and salamanders , both larvae and adults.
I am not trying to dissagree with the advice given, but I have found that the Dendrobeana I use are fine to use.
Both Eisenia, and to a lesser extent Dendrobeanea exude a foul smelling liquid when cut, but the Dendros does not smell as bad and does not seem to deter any of my animals from eating them

Thank you.
I'm confused...most common earthworms are Eisenia, Dendrobaena and Lumbricus. Some Dendrobaena have been reclassified as Eisenia. All of them have a reddish colour, Lumbricus maybe less, and all have more or less red rings.
Anyone knows WHY are red-ringed Eisenia and Dendrobaena bad for the S. salamandra?

Lumbricus are common earthworms found in the garden etc.
Eisenia, and dendrobeana are composting worms, often used in home worm composting units.
Both Eisenia, and dendrobeana produce a vile smelling liquid if cut.
The dendros in a much smaller amount.
I have had amphibians ignore Eisenia due to this liquid, but most of my amphibians eat Dendrobena without hesitation.
I doubt that this liquid is toxic, as I have some newts here that have been eating the dendros for many a year.
I did used to use Eisenia years ago for the species that would eat them, all grew up and bred for me.
check out this thread from another forum
why not Eisenia and Dendrobaena worms - Reptile Forums

I have just fed Dendrobeana worms to Laoensis, Neuerergus,Triturus, Cynops,Ichithyosaura,Tylototryton and Ambystoma.
All ate without hesitation.
My fire salamanders are kept in an outdoor set up, I throw Dendrobeana in there every so often, but they mainly eat naturaly occuring insects that enter the enclosure.

Ok Thanks.
I think i got it. They are not toxic but some critters don't like them.
I have mostly Eisenia foetida. I know were to find Lumbricus sp., have to reproduce them (they are slower to reproduce, I think)

Do your salamandra reproduce?

Ok Thanks.
I think i got it. They are not toxic but some critters don't like them.
I have mostly Eisenia foetida. I know were to find Lumbricus sp., have to reproduce them (they are slower to reproduce, I think)

Do your salamandra reproduce?

They have given me larvae to raise for the last 5 years, but nothing as yet this year.
I am hoping that they are just very late

:) how do you raise them? kinda by themselves or do you care for them in an artificial environment, like a fish tank or something?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back