Newts and Nerite Snails?

Pugwinkle

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'd like to get a few nerite snails to put into my Blue tailed Fire Newts tank to help with algae control. Would this be okay or would the newts try to eat the snails? I'll try to get as large a snail as I can.

They should be fine, I have loads of snails in with my C. pyrrho's, they do a great job cleaning up along with the shrimp. The newts do eat them from time to time, in fact the juveniles I have went through a period of obsessive snail eating and almost wiped them out in their tank!

They should be fine, I have loads of snails in with my C. pyrrho's, they do a great job cleaning up along with the shrimp. The newts do eat them from time to time, in fact the juveniles I have went through a period of obsessive snail eating and almost wiped them out in their tank!

Would they eat Nerite snails?? They seem pretty big for a newt. I'd think if a newt tried to eat it the newt probably wouldn't survive it.

What kind of shrimp do you keep with your newts?

As you know the snails reproduce very quickly so the newts will eat the young snails once they reach a certain size. They don't eat them that often now, but when they do they swallow them whole.
I have Cherry, Green and Japonica shrimps at the moment, The newts really love eating shrimps but they can't catch them very often, they do spend hours stalking them, though!

As you know the snails reproduce very quickly so the newts will eat the young snails once they reach a certain size. They don't eat them that often now, but when they do they swallow them whole.
I have Cherry, Green and Japonica shrimps at the moment, The newts really love eating shrimps but they can't catch them very often, they do spend hours stalking them, though!

Actually I don't think the Nerite Snails reproduce all that easily. I think they need to be in brackish water to reproduce so that shouldn't be a problem. I will have to see if I can get some types of shrimp.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back