LED light heat output

marcee77

Reaction score
Country
United States
LEDs don't really create heat.

Is there a reason you want such a bright light on your tank? Axolotls generally don't like a lot of light - they don't have eyelids. If you're going to light your tank with something like that, you'll need to make sure the Axolotl has plenty of places to hide away from the light if need be.

I will second Kaini on submersible lighting. It is likely to cause significant stress to the axolotl. As Kaini mentioned, axolotls have no eyelids and would need many hides to escape from the light. I would suggest not purchasing one of these at all. Placing unnecessary stress on the axolotl is not beneficial to its welfare.

The op stated the lights would be above the waterline........ How would that be any more stressful than regular strip lighting?

I have a tank with LED lights and they don't raise the water temperature by a measurable degree when they're on.
And before anyone chastises me for hurting my axie's eyes... I only put the lights on for a short period at a time, and not even every day. I use them to enable the live plants in the tank to flourish a little more healthily. The axies have plenty of places to hide if they don't like the light, and at first they would go and lurk under their mopani wood when the light came on. Over a couple of weeks they have got used to it and now happily sit out in brighter areas, so it can't bother them that much any more.

LEDs are more efficient while producing much less heat than the standard fluorescent bulbs or any other for that matter. The fact that they produce less heat while producing more light (and their small size) is why they are becoming popular for aquarists. They even have pretty nice grow lights.

Since everyone has already pointed out axolotls having no eye-lids, I'd just like to say that any light can discomfort them if they have no sense of cover. This would include caves, planted and floating plants, or any shade they can move to. But even with all of these, some will still come out into the light.

*also I have a compact fluorescent bulb that produces tons of heat that I use and as long as my fan is running my tank is not effected.

I have two led strips in my 1m tank since a few days and I have to say the light is very, very dim. During the day I can't even notice it's on and during the evening it gives a nice, soft glow. Not all leds are the same obviously, but my leds are not even nearly as bright/penetrating as the standard TLs.

I have two led strips in my 1m tank since a few days and I have to say the light is very, very dim. During the day I can't even notice it's on and during the evening it gives a nice, soft glow. Not all leds are the same obviously, but my leds are not even nearly as bright/penetrating as the standard TLs.

I should have mentioned there are many different types of LEDS to suit all types of spectrum output/ light intensity. Most stuff that is just sold as an LED strip will not have been going for the most intense LEDs as those get pricey. They still should last longer than a standard bulb in most cases.

I've used RGB LED strips before, they are fantastic as you can have any colour you want and it's all remote controlled. I used a pale green/blue/white colour during the day for even lighting across the tank that didn't bother my axolotl in the slightest. Then a deep blue at night which looks stunning and is very dark so doesn't bother the axolotl again.

At the moment I'm using a single 38W T8 grow light mounted at the back of my tank on an 11 hour photoperiod to stimulate plant growth. There is lots of shade at the front of my tank and plenty of hides for the axolotls. However, they have been very shy since moving into the tank. The rarely leave the hides unless the room is in complete darkness, which is odd.

For all intents and purposes, LED lights will not heat up the water. Fluorescent tubes will, but it depends on the size of your tank and the tube size. A large tank will have no real trouble staying cool, whereas a small tank can become warm quickly if exposed to a fluorescent tube or two.

I have a tank with LED lights and they don't raise the water temperature by a measurable degree when they're on.
And before anyone chastises me for hurting my axie's eyes... I only put the lights on for a short period at a time, and not even every day. I use them to enable the live plants in the tank to flourish a little more healthily. The axies have plenty of places to hide if they don't like the light, and at first they would go and lurk under their mopani wood when the light came on. Over a couple of weeks they have got used to it and now happily sit out in brighter areas, so it can't bother them that much any more.

Have you noticed that the plants are benefiting from the LED? I was under the impression that you need specific grow LEDs for plants, which are more expensive than fluourescant tubes and very bright generally.

You can buy led lighting with specific ktemp for plants, I had some from China last year. Axolotl tanks are generally lit for the plants not the axolotls, they prefer low light levels.

You can buy led lighting with specific ktemp for plants, I had some from China last year. Axolotl tanks are generally lit for the plants not the axolotls, they prefer low light levels.

Its amazing the specificity with LEDs now, people design light fixtures for their tanks and design the lighting to provide the right ktemp for optimal plant growth, then add other colors solely for aesthetics by bringing out their pets colors. But you're right axolotls are not going to benefit from the fancy lights, they only benefit indirectly when the plants grow and improve water quality.

Have you noticed that the plants are benefiting from the LED? I was under the impression that you need specific grow LEDs for plants, which are more expensive than fluourescant tubes and very bright generally.

You don't NEED specific grow LED's for plants. Sure, they will do best with them, but if your eyes can see white light and colours look like their proper shades, then you're looking at a mixed spectrum of wavelengths. In there somewhere will be ones plants can use. The elodea in particular starts to look a bit yellow when it's not getting enough light, and a deeper green when it is adequately supplied, so it's a good indicator of how much light reaches the tank in general.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back