Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fridging small axolotls ?

xxianxx

Reaction score
I quite often see posts in this forum recomending that small axolotls are not fridged yet I cant see any proof that 5c would be harmful to them. One of the forum members here raised some baby axolotls from eggs in the fridge at 5c and I have kept 4" ones at 10c last winter with no problems. Has anyone successfully fridged small axolotls ?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I see no reason why small axolotl can not be fridged if needed. I have yet to see a valid reason why you should not.
I have put injured juveniles in the fridge or outdoors ( winter time) to aid recovery from injury with no problems at all. They continued to eat and grow, but at a slower rate than their siblings. I even accidentally left one in what I thought was an empty tank over winter in a tank that I was convinced froze solid. This one was a quarter of the size of it siblings when I found her, but she grew to a beautiful big axolotl.
If an animal is needing to be fridged, it needs to be for a reasonable period of time. I would say raising and dropping the temperatures in short periods of time will cause problems, and I wonder if this is where the notion of not fridging juveniles comes from.

auntiejude

Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me how many people jump to 'should I fridge my axie?' before they even know what is wrong. Or worse, think that the fridge is used as a cold bath for 20 minutes a day.

Small axies would cool down and warm up much quicker than an adult - maybe people think the relatively quick temperature change would be a problem?

I guess because small axies are generally more active the lack of activity in the fridge appears more concerning. But I can't see a problem, we know they survive a frosty British winter outside, so a fridge would be OK.

oceanblue

Reaction score
I've fridged healthy small axies for various reasons, dashing off to be with a sick relative was one. Seven days is fine provided water volumes and pH are big enough to avoid ammonia toxicity. Food needs are reduced about 10 fold compared with 15 Celcius and if warmed, well fed and kept warm for 24 hours can then be re-fridged.

Growth is almost nil so if the aim is to grow axies fridging is counter-productive, but my current batch of juveniles have spent about a third of their life in the fridge and are doing well.

A lot of those screams for help "my brine shrimp haven't hatched/my daphnia have crashed" my axies are starving what do I do?" can be solved by sticking them in the fridge while the problem is sorted. The fridge buys time- use it wisely.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
On another thread someone is debating buying a chiller because of the risk of one hot summer month out of the year in a building without AC. The temp is cold most of the year so the chiller would be only for that month. Would it be easier for them to just fridge for that month rather then trying to set up a chiller?

bugdozer

Reaction score
If it's just a month then the better option would be using something like bottles of ice in the tank, I would think?

Boomsloth

Reaction score
The person would be working during the day so the bottles would not be effective if they are gone for too long. A fan would also not work if the temp is way too hot. I would think that 3-4 weeks at a constant low temp (inside the fridge) would be better than a fluctuating temp or even just slightly above normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1