Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help! Sick axo:( fluff on gill? Red tip on tail?

Floatalotl

Reaction score
So basically I came back after two days away at my mums and my girls got a white gill, the left side. So I googled this and did a salt bath and two drops of tea tree oil and I did a 70%water change and put two drops of tea tree oil in the tank and took all ornaments out and washed them in a boiling salt solution for hours and threw away all live plants. Put her in a few hours later after the water settled. I of course used aqua safe.
I also soaked a cotton wool bus in a salt solution and managed to get some of the fungus type stuff of her gill..
I then noticed a red vein in the tip of her tail with a slight split maybe in the end of her tail?
Here are some photos during the salt bath ...

Floatalotl

Reaction score
Any ideas on good ways to sterilise ornaments and filter other than boiling watt and lots of aquarium salts?
Tea tree oil good? How much?
Cotton wool buds ok?
She Is active as normal too

E

Elise

I don't see any evidence of fungus in your pictures. I see iridophores which are very common and normal in golden albinos. Would you say the fungus was cotton-like attachments or more of a pigmented white spec?

The tail injury is also common and is usually capable of healing on its own without any intervention, other than providing excellent water quality.

The amount of ointments and additives you are using is a bit striking. I don't know where you're finding this information but they are likely excessive and unnecessary.

Floatalotl

Reaction score
All from pages on this forums
But I shall leave her for a few days and see how She is..
It's like a gloup? I got it pop with a cotton bud and it was very slimy

auntiejude

Reaction score
Why did you boil all your ornaments? Fungal spores will NEVER be eradicated - they live in the water, on the tank walls, in the filter, on the axie's skin etc.

But fungus only attacks damaged skin, and I can't see any fungus on your axie.

The tail tear is normal - axies can injure their tails on anything, but they heal well.

First choice for treating or preventing fungus in an axie tank is indian almond leaves, it's much gentler than salt baths.

Full discussion on fungus here, but I'm not convinced your axie has fungus.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
I don't see signs of fungal your axie probably bit it's own tail so it is red. You can gently brush your hand across the gills, they won't like it but what you are trying to do is wipe off dead gill cells. See if that is the case.

No more salt baths okay?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1