Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to axolotl egg selling need advise

AshSeek

Reaction score
My axolotls just laid eggs, and this is the first time i've had any experience with it at all; i'm interested in possibly keeping some and selling some. Just a very rough estimate i have about 100+ eggs in the tank, here are my questions:

1.)Approximately how many eggs should i keep if I want to raise a few (5-10 axolotls)?

2.) What is the best way to package and ship eggs?

3.) What is a reasonable/typical price to sell eggs for?

4.) i have some small snails in my tank, the eggs are still in the spots where they were laid, can the snails be harmful? should i transplant the eggs immediately?

5.) What is best to keep the eggs (and eventually) babies in? i have an extra 10 gallon tank i can set up or larger plastic bowls?

6.) I was going to order daphnia from ebay, how much food should they have and should i start out with? how often will i have to order food?

If anybody else has any advise i'd be very grateful

Thank you,
Ashley

* also i don't know if this makes a difference but my male is a pink lecuistic (carries the gap gene) and i have three females (i don't know who laid the eggs) a wild type that carries the gfp gene, a white lecuistic who actually glows under a black light and another wild type who does NOT carry the gfp gene.

rachel1

Reaction score
Hi Ashley-congrats on the eggs! Here's what I would advise:
1) I would keep 5-10 eggs. Maybe a few extra. In my experience raising just a few is easiest for a beginner. If they don't make it, you will have more eggs soon enough if your male has access to 3 girls.
2) I pack eggs in a plastic fish bag-2/3 water, 1/3 air. I like to double bag. Ship in a foam lined box to keep them cool.
3) check the classifieds and compare prices to get a rough idea.
4) My pond snails have never harmed eggs. I still pull eggs into a separate container right away, just to get them out of the adult tank.
5) I would set up and cycle the ten gallon, and keep the eggs and juvies in small containers till they get a bit bigger. It's easier to monitor food intake and change the water. I put 5 hatchlings in a 16oz deli cup and do 100% water changes and feeding twice daily. As they grow you can move them into something bigger. I use water from my adult tank for water changes, as chemistry is more stable in a large tank.
6) I order my daphnia from Rhonda on eBay-she sells 1500 Russian red daphnia in a kit with daphnia food. I ended up needing to reorder once before switching to blackworms for 10 babies. They are over 2" now and will still grab up daphnia as a treat. Use a pipette with a narrow opening to suck up the tiny baby daphnia to feed hatchlings. You can probably find 1ml plastic pipettes on eBay pretty cheap. I fed twice daily and made sure there was always some daphnia in there to snack on. Make sure they are small enough for the babies to take- they need to have the really tiny ones at first, and they eat a lot! As they grow they can take larger daphnia. I keep the daphnia in a plastic tub of water taken from my adult tank, and feed out as needed.
Different people have different techniques. This is what works for me. Read up on how people raise babies and find a technique that works for you! Good luck!

AshSeek

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help! i've read the raising axolotl page on caudata and it helped a bit!

Do you think it is better to package in fish bags or sealed container? i've gotten advise on both.?

How do you keep daphnia alive until they are ready to be used as food for the baby axies?

Also just to clarify to do water changes twice a day with feeding twice a day?

Thank you so much for your advise i appreciate it very much it is really helpful!

One more question, is it safe to add new water to the tank my eggs are in and to clean the tank out a bit or can the eggs absorb the bad stuff in it? (i've really been needing to clean my tank)

rachel1

Reaction score
No problem. I like fish bags. It seems a bit more flexible for the rigors of shipping. If you use a sealed container, make sure you leave an airspace. When I was first starting out I had someone send me a bunch of eggs in a sealed jar with no air-obviously they all died. Animals that live underwater still need to breathe!
I haven't found daphnia to be difficult at all, but that's just me. I throw them in a tank with old tank water., maybe 2 or 3 gallons. They are sensitive to swings in water chemistry from water right out of the tap. They prefer to have an air stone, and I put them in a sunny window or under a lamp to promote algae growth. That's pretty much it.
I do change my babies water twice daily once they are hatched and pooping. I was doing it once daily, but my waste levels were higher than I liked when I tested their water. I change first, then add daphnia so they can pick at them all day as they get hungry. Daphnia won't foul the water like baby brine.
I'm not sure about the last question, your wording is confusing me a bit. You can continue to do your regular cleaning and water changes in the adult'a tank with eggs in it. I assume you are using a water conditioner when you add new water-that should neutralize chlorine and heavy metals which are the most concerning "bad stuff" in tap water. Water fresh out of the tap can sometimes have drastic changes in pH over a couple hours. If you are adding it to a large volume of water already, it will have less of an impact on overall water chemistry, which is why I like to take water from my established tank for the babies water change. Hope that helps- feel free to ask if something didn't make sense.

rachel1

Reaction score
Here's my daphnia tub- gross, isn't it! It's a 19 qt Rubbermaid tub. I have a plain cfl light bulb shining on it and an air stone. I haven't done anything except top it off twice with old tank water in 2 1/2 months. I throw in a tiny pinch of food once or twice a week. Right now there's one single algae wafer in there. When it's all gone I'll probably drop in another-it'll probably be a week or two before they need it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 237
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1