Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newbie and confused

Painless Silver

Reaction score
So I've been reading through the different threads and while this question is probably asked the most from everyone I also seem to be confused on what the best Chiller would be. We barely have summer here. And when we do it lasts for a month and is fairly hot. Normal room temp keeps the tank at well below 18*C but I worry about the summer heat.

I don't have an Axolotl yet but am planning on getting one once my tank is fully cycled. (Fishless cycling with Ammonia) but I would like to know what people find the most effective for chillers. I've seen fans and canisters and all sorts of things and I want something a bit more stable. As I am scared to death of using bottles of ice. That and I can be gone for 10+ hours a day especially in the summer with service dog training with my other job ontop of that.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Even links to a product would be great. The LFS's here do not carry Chillers of any kind and when I asked they all told me that while they had no clue what I was talking about until I spoke to a manager I was told if I came to them with a product that I wanted or needed they could likely order one in for me.

So in essence I am looking for something reliable that can handle very hot temperatures (45*C) and be able to keep my tank from rising to horribly dangerous levels.

Thanks guys

keiko

Reaction score
Most axie owners that I know over here in Finland that use chillers use Hailea chillers. They're pretty expensive but work really well as far as I've heard.

leandrah

Reaction score
I think that you might need a chiller if it will get up to 45 degrees,
alternatively, a mesh lid with fans also works :)

auntiejude

Reaction score
Do your summer temps really get up to 45C regularly? My info says high 20s in August, occasionally above 30 but not often.

If you can't get a chiller lically its probably because there isn't much call for them. I don't use one in the UK, our summers are much the same as yours.

Painless Silver

Reaction score
Our average summer temps are 29c but we do have days that can reach 45 quite easily. As we had several last year and the one before. And it's predicted to get up that high again this year as our spring has been delayed. (We are still getting massive snowfalls)

thank you for the product suggestions!

Boomsloth

Reaction score
I'm in florida and can say if you only have one month of risky temperature it might be cheaper to run the AC for that month and keep it at 20C. Then use a fan to bring it lower. My fan has worked non stop since january and kept my tank below 20C as long as my room is at 20-21C. If you have the money for a chiller go for it, but one month is not that long of a time.

Painless Silver

Reaction score
The downside to my location is that the building does not have air conditioning. Or like you suggested I would be all over keeping the house cool.
but if fans are more suggested for the few months we do have heat then I may go that route. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

Boomsloth

Reaction score
The downside to my location is that the building does not have air conditioning. Or like you suggested I would be all over keeping the house cool.
but if fans are more suggested for the few months we do have heat then I may go that route. I would much rather be safe than sorry.

If you know your building will be hot that month and there is no AC then you might want to get a chiller. The fan brings the temp down a few degrees but if the tank is at 30C it won't be enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1