Axolotl on hunger strike

Alison1972

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,
This is my first posting. I am from Sydney, Australia and have had the lovely Stan for about 4 months now. He's a wild type and about 15-16cm long. He's always been very active and engaging and definitely hungry!
I was recently worried that his filter wasn't doing a good anough job and put a new one in. He appeared very unhappy about this, stopped moving and eating, so I changed it back. His water parameters are fine and tested regularly.
It's been three days now, he is refusing food (I know they do this sometimes), but is also really sluggish. Could he still be shocked about the filter change? He isn't floating or tipping, and doesn't appear constipated, his gills are back and his tail is not curled. Has this happened to anyone else? I would appreciated your feedback.

Hi All,
This is my first posting. I am from Sydney, Australia and have had the lovely Stan for about 4 months now. He's a wild type and about 15-16cm long. He's always been very active and engaging and definitely hungry!
I was recently worried that his filter wasn't doing a good anough job and put a new one in. He appeared very unhappy about this, stopped moving and eating, so I changed it back. His water parameters are fine and tested regularly.
It's been three days now, he is refusing food (I know they do this sometimes), but is also really sluggish. Could he still be shocked about the filter change? He isn't floating or tipping, and doesn't appear constipated, his gills are back and his tail is not curled. Has this happened to anyone else? I would appreciated your feedback.

What are your exact parameters?
When you change the filter did you put the old media into the new filter? Is the new filter creating a current?

How often do you usually feed him?
They can sometimes go quite a while without eating if something bothers/stresses them. They'll usually be back to normal after a few days when they notice everything's the same again (they can be a bit slow :p). Keep an eye on him and the water parameters to make sure everything is ok and there are no signs of illness etc. Try to offer him food in the early mornings and late evenings when axies usually are most active.

Hi, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25, Nitrates and Nitrites are 0 and PH is 6.8. The new filter didn't create a current, actually it was less disruptive to the water than the old one, but he really seemed to not cope with it. He is still not eating, and is really listless (or ignoring me) but usually he's really reactive to what is going on around him. He still doesn't seem distressed, but is still shying away from food.

What are your nitrates at? and did you keep the old filter media in the new filter?

If you didn't put your old media in, and it appears you havent if there are no nitrate readings and an aommnia reading - this means your tank is going through a cycle again.

You need to be doing daily water changes and testing diligently until the levels are safe to live in. This may take weeks. A fully cycle tank will read 0 ammonia and nitrites, and a reading of but below 40ppm nitrates.

Ammonia and nitrites are deadly at high dosages and can irritate and burn his skin.

Hi, thanks so much for all your feedback. The nitrates are also at zero. I will continue to do water changes. There's evidence that he has poo'd again, but still not eating. I'll keep you posted. Water temp is 22 degrees celcius and stable.

He used to eat every day, and would spend the rest of the day eating the spare blood worms off the floor of the tank until there was nothing left. That's why I thought it was so strange.

Yeah definitely check your tests everyday and adjust accordingly with water changes, or take him out and put him in a smaller tub with 100% daily water changes whilst adding an ammonia source to your normal tank. This would make ammonia burns and such less likely do to the frequent changes.

Try keeping the tank down a little more 16-18 is optimal temperature. Higher temps can stress out your axolotl. You can use fans to cool down the water. Ice bottles can be used also however theres more of a chance of fluctuating temperatures which can be more stressful.

What do you feed him?

If you take out your axolotl from the tank you'll be better off leaving the tank at the current temp as the bacteria will colonize a little quicker. Once you are cycled you should bring it down to what hayley said then add your axolotl.

He's been happy on blood worms from the pet store, but I have also bought an axolotl food that has shrimps etc in it to try to interest him, to no avail...

May I suggest offering earthworms? Earthworms are far more nutritional and also have the benefit of being far less messy and are very cheap (especially if you start up your own worm farm). At that size bloodworm won't be enough nutritionally. If he doesn't accept them live, you could try blanching the worms by briefly running the worm under hot water and then immediately cold water (to stop them cooking). This will kill the worm and stop it excreting a foul substance axolotls sometimes don't like.

May I suggest offering earthworms?
This is excellent advice. Try feeding them live first, though, as the axie should respond to the movement. Mine loves catching his worm as it drops down through the water, or grabbing it wriggling off the floor if he misses it on the way down. Now, he's so impatient he swims up to take it out of my hand!
Also, I second what the others have said about the nitrate levels - the tank is cycling again and needs daily water changes - and about the temperature - it should be below 19.

Have just tried earthworms, he wouldn't go near them! Will just keep changing the water and offerring them every day.

Some take earthworms right away while others will be a little more cautious. However as long as there is no other food source an axolotl will rarely starve itself to any extreme. Just be patient and they will eat them eventually.

I am still doing the daily water changes and he's looking a little more alert. Still refusing food (the worm was actually nearly crawling into his mouth), will just keep trying. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I have heard that pieces of raw scallop are a major axie delicacy, so you could try tempting him with these. It may be though that he will be most likely to respond to whatever he is most familiar with, so perhaps if the other suggestions fail, you should return to that. As other contributors have said, it is not unusual for axies to stop feeding for some time - several weeks - if they are stressed, and the water conditions would have been stressing him. Be patient and don't panic. You are doing all the right things waterwise, so things should improve.

He's finally eaten an earthworm!! It's very exciting. I'll continue the water changes daily until the cycle settles. Thanks for all your support and suggestions.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back