Larvae violently twitching/swimming

tomm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I'm raising my first group of axolotls right now.

I started with about 25 eggs that hatched about a week and a half ago. I now have about 15 larvae just because some didn't hatch and some passed shortly after hatching. This morning I was feeding them BBS and left for an hour. I put half in one container and half in another so they aren't crowded. I rinse the shrimp a lot, but this is the first time using a new brand.

When I came back there were about 5 or 6 in one container freaking out and swimming like crazy. I put them back in their living space and they began to "twitch" uncontrollably for a few minutes. I have no idea what could make them do this but I'm worried they'll die by tonight.

If anyone could tell me why they might be acting this way it'd be a huge help I'm a bit worried.

Could be the salt from the BBS irritating the larvae. A thorough rinse of the shrimp in aged water would take care of that, if that were the issue. Also, chlorine in the water, or if the water wasn't aged may be an issue. Twitching violently is a red flag that there is a problem with the water. It may even be something that won't be easy to detect, unfortunately.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back