Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Please help! Axy snaps at air, floating and disoriented despite fridging

kevintheaxolotl

Reaction score
I have a little axy who is approx. 10 months old. Up until a month ago he seemed ok, he liked to spend a lot of time at the top of the tank but I also saw him at the bottom a bit too so there was no cause for concern. Now for about a month he has been constantly floating at the top, snapping at the air, looking disoriented and he kept flipping onto his back.

I read this was possibly because of an air bubble in his stomach (i'm pretty sure I could see it on the side which was floating upwards), so I fridged the little guy for about 4 days and every time I took him out to change the water he seemed to be getting better, his gills looked more pink and fluffy and he didn't seem to be flipping about any more.

So yesterday I checked the pH of his tank (all was ok) and popped him back in and much to my dismay I check again this morning and he is back to exactly the same way he was before. I swear I can see the air bubble again too :-(

Whenever I feed him he is at the top of the tank and snaps at the water/air... could this be the problem? Is he used to getting all his food at the top of the tank now so thats where he stays?
Why would he be at the top of the tank so much otherwise? The water seems fine due to the pH test and the filter is on gently.

How do I get him not to snap at the air? As soon as i put my hand or any food in he starts snapping and flipping around like crazy and I can't even imagine how much air is going in his little belly from that?

Please help, I'm so worried.

Thank you in advance

littlebignafe

Reaction score
Just being at the top of the tank is not really much to worry about, one of my two spends all her time up there where as the other is more content on the floor. Snapping at air shouldn't be too bad for him as both of mine are known to do it.

How are his gills now?

What is the temperature like in the tank on average?

Are there any unusual loud noises? Mine were freaked out by builders a while back

Pictures as well please

mackinthebox

Reaction score
it sounds like just a hungry axolotl
My only concern is when he is on his back
Does he remain on his back for long? how long?

post your water parameters too, whats your Ph, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate at? water temp?

is he still eating?

kevintheaxolotl

Reaction score
Thank you both so much for your help!! :D:D

He only flips onto his back briefly, but he just seems very disoriented and uncoordinated, he never used to be like that which is why I'm so concerned.

This is when I'm near the tank or trying to feed him, snapping and flipping about, always at the top of the water

The tank temperature ranges from 15-20 degrees, at the moment nearer 20 as the weather has become warmer

I did a pH test not long ago and there wasn't anything to be alarmed about, I will do one again asap and post it

Also I'm really not so sure about the filter I was given... it seems pretty bad quality... can anyone suggest a good filter for axolotls?

No loud noises that i know of, quiet dining room area, maybe the TV can get a bit loud sometimes?

His gills have gone from fluffy and pink to not as fluffy and darkish red/purple

Oh also when I received him he had no back leg, he has since grown it back but it seems to stick up in the air when he's at the top of the tank... but this doesn't seem too much an issue?

I am posting pictures now too, I swear in the last photo I can see air bubbles in his belly!

Thanks so much for reading xx

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 197
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 216
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 189

kevintheaxolotl

Reaction score
Also ps he still eats regularly and seems to be always quite hungry, sometimes throws his bloodworms back up though, I'm thinking about beef heart or earthworms?

Skudo09

Reaction score
I would avoid beef heart personally. But earthworms yes :) I would highly recommend earthworms as a staple diet. They are much more nutritious than bloodworm, far less messy and very cheap, especially if you start up your own earthworm farm :)

If you could test your water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH and post the results here it would be beneficial in offering advice :)

Skudo09

Reaction score
Also could you try offering food lower in the water? This may prevent snapping up air when going for food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1